A Tactical Oversight

The river flowed straight into a reservoir in the Kingdom. It was dead quiet in the middle of the night so when the wagon lowered onto the streets of Mayimgar and the green glow coming from Varian dimmed, no one but Hugo and Yong saw.
As soon as Varian lowered back into his seat, his eyes returning to their usual blue, Hugo reached a hand out and cupped his cheek, "You good, Goggles?"
Varian nodded, giving a smile, "It was my mom- I felt it."
The concerned look on the blonde's face was immediately replaced by a smile, "You'll have to tell her thanks from us." Hugo gestured to Yong.
The younger boy leant over, placing a hand on Varian's shoulder, "Thanks, Ulla!" He yelled.
Varian flinched at Yong's voice, "I really don't think that's how it works, Yong." Varian told him but the boy shrugged, climbing out of the cart.
"Hey- we can leave the wagon and Prometheus here." He moved around to Prometheus and held onto his bridle to lead him around a corner to a shelter. There were horse feeders and hay, but only one horse inside.
"You really know your way around, huh?" Hugo grinned, "Did Ava show you?"
"Nope." Yong responded, happily.

With the wagon parked and Prometheus happily chomping down on a late dinner, Yong led the way across the dimly lit streets of the Kingdom.
"I really hope she's here." Yong sighed, eagerly striding ahead then turning to walk backwards so he could address the other two, "I usually write before I visit."
Hugo looked sideways at Varian.
"It's okay if she isn't in town, Yong. We can meet her some other time." Varian assured and Yong smiled widely then turned to face ahead of them again.
Hugo leant closer to Varian, lowering his voice, "You think he was lying the whole time?"
"But there was a letter." Varian reminded him.
"Cause it's real hard to write in a girly font."
Varian snickered, "Are you speaking from experience?" He smirked, "I don't think Yong's as sad as you are, Hugh." He walked faster to keep up with Yong and Hugo narrowed his eyes.
"It's just down here!" There was a lot of excitement in Yong's voice as he ran down some spiralling steps towards the wall surrounding the Kingdom. There was a small gap in the wall where the water flowed into a fountain.
"We meet here." Yong smiled, sitting on the edge of the fountain.
"And...d'you always meet in the middle of the night?" Varian asked.
"Sometimes." Yong nodded and Varian sat beside him.

"It's been twenty minutes, kid- how long do you want to wait?" Hugo had sat down next to Varian, looking past him to furrow his brows at Yong.
"Just a little longer." Yong pleaded, "She'll be here, I can feel it."
"You can feel it?" Hugo asked.
"In my heart." Yong placed his hand to his chest, "Don't you get that with Varian? Y'know, when he's close by- and it feels all light."
"I've never once experienced anything close to that." Hugo responded, "What I am feeling is that Varian is way too exhausted to be waiting around here any longer." He looked to Varian who was leaning his weight into him, eyes barely able to stay open.
"I'm fine- I wanna meet Ava." He yawned.
"Yeah, I think your mom taking over for a while back there was a little much for you. Let's get you somewhere you can sleep." Hugo put an arm around Varian and helped him to stand.
The boy didn't protest, "Sorry, Yong."
Yong gave a short sigh and stood too, "That's ok." He smiled, "There's always tomorrow." The boy walked over to the other two, "Want me to carry you, Varian?"
"Hm?" Varian gave him a puzzled look.
"You look real tired and I know Hugo isn't very strong."
Hugo stared, "And you are?" He retorted, defensively.
"Well, yeah- I've been training."
"I'm fine, Yong, thanks." Varian chuckled.

When they arrived in a small inn, the woman at the desk was asleep. Yong woke her gently and she handed over a single room key before dozing off again before Hugo could ask for another.
Varian was asleep as soon as he hit the sheets so Hugo laid beside him to get some rest himself. The room had two single beds, Hugo and Varian squeezed into one while Yong took the other.
Just as Hugo was drifting off too, Yong spoke up,
"Do you ever wonder what it's like to be a mer-person? You get to breathe underwater- and there's whole cities in the ocean to explore."
"Trying to sleep, Yong." Hugo muttered.
"Sorry. I just think it'd be cool." He pouted.
Hugo sighed, "Yeah. It would be cool."
Yong smiled.