Chapter 18

Leah

I felt like Alex was taking the whole "dinner" thing to the extreme. He took hours to prepare and when he finally arrived back at my room to collect me he was wearing a suit. I couldn't stop my giggles as I looked him over.

"Are you my dinner?" I ask cheekily, my eyes devouring his broad shoulders and the way his white, crisp shirt made his blue eyes pop. He gave me a startled look before chuckling.

"If you're a good girl, maybe for desert." He responds with a little growl that makes my heart patter hard in my chest.

I giggle again and take his outstretched hand as he leans down to kiss my cheek.

"You look beautiful." He murmurs in my ear, his lips ghosting over my skin. I smile shyly as I feel my face blush under his scrutiny.

"Thank you. You look beautiful too." I tell him and he chuckles.

"Beautiful enough to eat?" He asks with a firm, piercing gaze that makes my core clench.

"And swallow." I whisper. His eyes darken at my comment and he releases a low rumble from his chest.

"Careful what you wish for, little one." He warns before tugging on my hand and pulling me down the stairs. I try to get my body under control, still heated from our exchange.

Before I know it, I'm being pulled out into the cold evening air. Alex scoops me up and puts me in a car that's already been warmed up and I smile at his thoughtfulness. He still thinks if I get cold I'll die even though I've recovered from whatever illness I had. I look over at him in the drivers seat and watch his stiff form as he drives quietly. He looks so nervous. I reach over and pat his hand. He looks over at me and smiles a little before giving me his hand. I thread our fingers together and let our hands rest on my lap. I watch his body relax at the contact and smile.

"Why are you so nervous?" I ask. He glances over at me before chuckling.

"I've never done this before. It's nerve wracking. Humans are much braver than I gave them credit for." He says making me laugh.

"You're doing great." I tell him affectionately, running my thumb along the back of his hand. He watches the movement for a second before he continues driving. He pulls up in front of the building that will be the new bakery when it's finished. I look at him curiously, but he just winks at me before smiling. He slips out of the car and rounds to my side, pulling the door open for me. I smile at him shyly and he holds his arm out for me to take.

He opens the door to the small building, and in the middle is the most beautiful table I've ever seen. Delicious smells waft over to me, the food plated beautifully on a table with a white tablecloth. Multiple candles sorrounded by flowers. The whole shop is covered in flowers and candles, giving off a warm romantic glow. I gasp as I look around, unable to form words.

"Do you like it?" Alex asks quietly and I turn to him.

"Like it? It's incredible." I say breathlessly. His grin gets wider and some of the tension releases from his body.

"You did all of this?" I ask incredulously and he nods before pulling me into his chest.

"I even made the food." He says proudly.

"Really?" I ask. I've never seen him cook before, but he nods and smiles as he runs his hand down my cheek.

"Yes. I thought that's what a date was. The male has to show he can provide for the female." He says shrugging and I can't help but laugh at his explanation.

It's so wolfish.

"I guess... in a way that's true. Most guys just pay for dinner at a restaurant, but this. Alex. This is so much better." I say warmly, wrapping my arms around his neck and resting my head on his shoulder.