Chapter 20

Alex

Leah was passed out cold by the time we made it to the packhouse and I couldn't help but smile. My wolf and I were pretty proud of ourselves.

We wore our little human out.

I carried her up to her room and woke her up long enough to switch her into pajamas, then went down to the kitchen to get something to drink. I had my head in the fridge when a voice startled me from behind.

"Hey Alpha! How'd the date go?" I hit my head on the shelf as I jerked from being caught off guard, pain shooting through my skull.

"Ah, fuck." I turn and see Jon's smug smile and scowl at him.

"You didn't have to scare me like that." I admonish him, but he just chuckles and continues with that annoying smile.

"Thought it would take a little more than that to scare our big bad Alpha." He teases and I roll my eyes at his teasing.

"My mind was on other things." I say distractedly, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge and closing it.

"Yeah? Like the date? Did she like it? I bet she liked it. What girl wouldn't?" He says excitedly making me chuckle.

"Yeah, she liked it. Thank you for your help in setting it up. I don't suppose you'd also help clean it up?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard." He says making me chuckle. "What?" He asks suspiciously.

"Well, I may have made a bit of a mess." I say with a sly grin and his eyes narrow in curiousity.

"And why did you do that?" He asks and I shrug, taking a swig of my water.

"We may have gotten a bit carried away." I say nonchalantly and Jon's eyes widen with mischief.

"Oh yeah? What happened?" He asks pulling up a chair, but I shake my head.

"That's between Leah and I." I tell him firmly and he grunts in annoyance.

"Where is the little bird?" He asks and I smile again.

"Sleeping soundly. I tuckered the poor thing out." I say and Jon roars with laughter.

"Did you mark her?" He asks and I shake my head.

"We're not there yet, but I think we're on the right track." I say and just then I feel Leah press into my mind.

'Alex? Where'd you go?' She asks sleepily, but there's still a hint of a whine in there.

'Just to get something to drink. I'll be right up. You need anything?' I ask her.

'No. But I'm getting cold.' She says and I chuckle.

'On my way, little one.'

"Little minx knows exactly what to say to get me into bed next to her." I muse to Jon.

"What's that?" He asks.

"That she's cold." I say and he laughs again.

"You do have a bit of a fear of her getting sick again." He says and I nod.

"I do. Don't you?" I ask pointedly and the humor slips off of his face. I know how worried he was when our little human was sick. We all were.

"Yeah I suppose I do." I hear him say as I exit the kitchen and bound up the stairs.

I slip into Leah's room and strip down to my boxers. I suppose she's seen everything now, no need for modesty. She gives me a warm, sleepy smile as I sneak across the room and slide under the blankets with her. Her hand lands on my chest and I let out a little yelp at how cold it is. She giggles at that then presses her feet to me, which also feel like ice.