Chapter 21

Leah

It had been a week since Alex's memorable dinner date. I was remembering it so often it was like a continuous loop in my head. A dirty loop that I couldn't think about around other people because according to Alex, people could smell what I was thinking about. Alex had been very busy since, but he always made sure to eat breakfast with me and was in bed before I was asleep. He seemed a little stressed, but didn't talk much about it. I tried to spend time in his office when I could. I thought it would annoy him but he said it helped him to relax.

He's so sweet.

I was staying busy, helping out in the pack. Penny was quickly becoming one of my new best friends and Jon always bugged me to do things like watch movies or binge tv shows with him. I think he liked the human world almost as much as the werewolf world. I was on my way to see Penny when I heard a throat clear from behind me. I turned to look and a beautiful she wolf with long, shiny brown hair, legs that went on for miles and a perfect figure smiled at me, but it didn't hold any of the warmth I was used to.

"Oh look. It's our little pet human." She says with a humorless laugh. I furrow my brows in confusion, but decide to shrug off the insult.

"I'm Leah. Nice to meet you." I say and she rolls her eyes.

"I'm Justine." She says and I nod. "It's nice to finally see the woman that has our Alpha all tied up in knots. I have to admit you're a little... underwhelming." She says nastily and I feel myself blush, but square my shoulders.

"Well, lucky for me I don't give a shit what you think." I say and she laughs at me.

"Such sharp claws. Like a little kitten. A kitten doesn't stand a chance against a wolf though, does she? Just a word to the wise, enjoy your time as the Alpha's plaything. It doesn't last forever. I should know." She says, looking away sadly. Confusion and suspicion burrow into my mind at her words.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, less venom in my tone. She sighs before looking back at me.

"Not long after his mate died, the Alpha took a liking to me as well. I never found my mate, I assume he was killed at some point. The Alpha spoiled me, took care of me. I thought we were on our way to being choice mates. But then all of a sudden he got bored with me. Stop spending time with me. It was like I never existed. I was devestated." She finishes her story and nausea creeps up my throat.

"I just didn't want the same thing to happen to you that happened to me." She says sadly.

This is exactly what I was worried about in pursuing things with Alex. That he would get bored, change his mind, or decide that I wasn't good enough for him. Why would someone like him want me anyway? He's beautiful, absolute perfection. But on top of that he's kind, sweet, thoughtful and loyal. I could never be so lucky. I take a deep breath and start to walk away.

"Thanks for warning me." I say to Justine, who nods and walks away, her heels clicking against the tiled floor.

I mind link Penny that I'm not feeling well and decide to go to my room to digest this new information. I'm not sure what to do or what to believe. Alex has never given me a reason not to trust him, or to doubt his feelings for me. But it just doesn't make any sense. He and I together, it's not a good idea. I'm just a human and he's a powerful werewolf. He should have a strong she wolf at his side. One that can help him protect the pack, build it and make it stronger.

The realization causes pain to shoot through me and my eyes to fill with tears, because I know it's true. But he's the first person to show me kindness. To be generous and warm. To make me feel loved. And that's what he did. He made me love him.