Chapter 2 | Double Trouble

After a mind-numbingly long week of laying low in the library, Talibah thought it was high time to get up to some mischief again—justified mischief, that is. There was only so much for her to do when she was limited to her quarters and, occasionally with an escort, her father's office. Of course, if she was able to openly use the Library's resources, it would have been a fun, explorative week, but alas, that was painfully not the case.

Her father lent her some of the newly acquired scrolls he was in charge of copying and categorizing, but that only happened three times during the whole week, and her time reading each one was limited to less than an hour so no one unfriendly would find out a girl was reading from their treasured horde. So, she paced her quarters endlessly while fiddling with her astrolabe, helped out in the kitchens, taught Athena some new tricks, and even offered to run notes between scholars. Few took her up on this offer, because though she was quite magnetizing (and she knew it), she was also a tad infamous for certain deviations that had taken place over the years.

At least Letes had been able to sneak into her bedchamber on one of those lonely nights after Lenion let her in during dinner (Library security tended to become lax during mealtimes), worried that Talibah hadn't come by for so long. While there were occasionally short intervals of time in which the girls didn't see each other for a day or two, a whole week was unheard of. Letes's parents sometimes traveled to nearby cities to get a taste of different markets, and the young artist had to go with them when that happened, but they were never away from Alexandria for more than a few days. Talibah, however, almost never missed a single day of running around Alexandria, charming merchants into giving her free fruits or flowers, or else holing up in their undercover classroom to read and write.

Though an equal part in the founding of their private place of learning, Letes was far less of a troublemaker than her beloved Talibah was. Letes was the strong but silent type who usually let her writing and artwork speak for her. Naturally quiet and reserved, Letes often wondered why Talibah had stuck around her, for she was much less adventurous than the wealthy academic's daughter. Letes had certainly loosened up since being Talibah's friend, but she still felt a certain insecurity about being too boring or timid for Talibah; after all, she wouldn't even be able to read or write if it wasn't for Talibah, and she was definitely not the true genius Talibah was (though Letes like to think of herself as an artistic genius). However, Letes had prepared a surprise for Talibah in the classroom during her absence.

She had a tendency to shower Talibah with gifts to ensure she would never tire of Letes (though, if Talibah had known about this little insecurity, she would be heartbroken and angered at the thought that Letes could be so uncertain of Talibah's love for her best friend).

As if a bird let out of her cage, Talibah flew through the streets of Alexandria early in the morning on the day her father finally let her leave the Library; the only ones who'd been up to greet her as she fled her dungeon had been her father, as he too was leaving the Library for the next couple of days to collect some priceless scrolls that had been found in a nearby city, and the bakers.

The lovely smell of their sweet pastries followed her as she burst from the Library. The sun barely peeked over the horizon as she glided northwest through the city towards the coast and her beloved classroom. It was so early that the merchants hadn't even started setting up their stalls yet, and the streets were peaceful and quiet. Because of this (and because there was no one she could show off her speed to), Talibah slowed down so she could take in the tranquil streets. She felt the sea breeze gently whisper past her as it lifted curtains and dangled chimes in the doorways and windowsills of Alexandrians' homes and shops along the streets. Taking a deep breath, she smiled.

I love my city.

She followed the winding, sandy streets as if in a trance, in complete appreciation of her city and its palm trees, stunning archways and columns and statues of gods and leaders, the smell of the sea (and of camel manure), the occasional flutter of a bird's wings, and especially, as she approached it, the secret classroom that was all for her and Letes.