Chapter 3 - Thief

Darrel had not intended to make conversation with anyone. He had only wanted to make a quick stop on his way through Safeton, to wish for safe travels at the Fountain. He didn't have time for pleasantries. He didn't have time for anything. If he valued his life, he really shouldn't have even bothered with the superstitious practice of tossing a coin in the Fountain at all.

Even if he did need the luck.

It wouldn't be long before the Imperial police force tracked him down. As dumb as many of them were, he had to admit, it was getting harder to slip past them. The Realm's magic helped, but he could only stretch it so far.

The Fountain had been a last ditch effort to save his worthless neck. Perhaps its power — however limited, as drained as it was — could give him the extra boost he needed to slip off their radar. He had been so desperate, it had been the only thought on his mind as he passed through the crowds to the Fountain's edge.

And then, she had stepped up beside him.

It had to be fate. He needed an extra touch of magic, and here she was carrying it on her shoulders like a cloak. She practically glowed from the remnants it left on her skin. Even more magic reached up to her hand from the Fountain's waters, like a cat arching for affection.

Magic didn't react that way to just anyone. Whoever this girl was, she was something special.

And if he played his cards right, he might just convince her to help him. Who wouldn't want to help a charming young man such as himself?

The girl watched him with wide, wondering eyes, a trepidation in her stare that reminded him of a child who had just remembered she wasn't supposed to talk to strangers. She blinked, and then a large, warm smile erased all fear from her features. "I'm Alie," she said, her eyes alight with the magic of the Fountain's water. "How'd you know I was new here?"

"Well, you don't exactly blend in." He gestured to her tennis shoes, knee-length pink pants, and black t-shirt with the word dream in swirling silver print. "Plus, you were staring into the water like you'd found religion or something. I figured you had never seen its magic before."

"We haven't," a male voice cut in.

Darrel had to force himself to maintain his pleasant smile. He hadn't expected the girl to have her boyfriend with her. The Realm usually only called to one. She must have been very special indeed if it had allowed her to bring someone along.

It took all his strength not to return the cold stare that the boyfriend shot at him as he stepped next to Alie.

He doubted he could convince the girl to ditch her man. If he wanted her help – or, rather, her magic – he would have to win them both over. Which, if he was honest with himself, might become more trouble than it was worth.

"Oh! Sorry. Darrel, this is Michael," Alie introduced, her face flushing with awkward embarrassment. "Michael, this is Darrel."

Michael didn't so much as blink.

"Nice to meet you," Darrel greeted warmly, holding out his hand.

Out of politeness, Michael accepted the hand shake. "Same."

This was going nowhere. Darrel knew he was just wasting time. He needed to get moving, and fast, or risk getting caught.

Instead, he opened his stupid mouth and said, "So, are you enjoying Safeton?"

"It's gorgeous," Alie gushed. "Like something out of a dream." The remnants of magic lingering on her skin brightened at her enthusiasm, as if it found life within her joy.