Chapter 18 - Justice

Another black spot teeming with Evil waited for them in the next world. When Alie approached the local town they arrived beside and asked if they knew of any place suspiciously suffering from corruption, the people immediately showed her the spot. It lay hidden just outside of town, within the tree line of the neighboring wood. They warned her that it was dangerous and to stay away, lest she suffer illness, insanity, or worse from the toxins it leeched out.

Alie wasted no time. She immediately drew the Ultimate and plunged it into the spot. Golden magic swarmed around her and the blade.

Michael expected the spot to burst open like a popped zit. But instead, the magic sealed the spot and shriveled it up, rendering it useless.

In a matter of moments, it was over. Alie removed the Ultimate from the ugly scar that remained on the dying tree trunk where the spot had been. She turned and smiled to the few townspeople who had been curious enough to follow her. Then, without a word, she trekked back toward the village to let them know that they were safe.

The village elders were called to inspect Alie's work. And when it was determined that the spot indeed no longer threatened them, the elders called for a celebration.

The entire village dropped whatever they were doing to join in. Tables were dragged out of houses into the street so that meals could be shared with everyone. Families offered coin in thanks to Alie's service. Young men and women offered themselves to join her cause.

Alie had no idea how to react. She insisted upon accepting only a few gifts of money and food, and only one night's accommodations. She turned down the volunteers who wished to join her. It was clear that she fought not for fame, attention, or riches, but because she believed it was the right thing to do.

Darrel, unsurprisingly, took advantage of the villager's attention immediately. The moment he noticed some girls watching him and giggling, he disappeared with them for a few hours, only returning with a smug grin on his face just in time for bed. When asked where he had been, he merely said that if he knew heroism paid so well, he never would have taken up thieving.

And Michael, keeping quiet and remaining dutifully by Alie's side, watched the same thing happen in town after town after town. The people of the realm loved Alie. Who wouldn't? Aside from becoming their savior, she was humble and joyful. A blessing in answer to their prayers.

Word of her spread like wildfire. Within a week, all she had to do was mention that she was the Ultimate Wielder, and she would be welcomed with open arms. Everyone from the lowest servant to high ranking dignitaries excitedly greeted her when she introduced herself.

The only people who weren't happy to see her were the Imperials in uniform. Luckily, there weren't too many around in the towns they visited. With a little bit of magic and mild support from locals, they managed to slip out of trouble time and time again.

Michael wondered how long their luck would last.

—————

Alie leaned up against a post near the general store's entrance, trying to make herself as small as possible. The store was packed, both with people and with merchandise, and the space roared from everyone's voices. She had never been one to feel claustrophobic, but this was getting uncomfortable.

Beside her, Darrel chatted up a young woman with painted red lips and her long blonde hair woven like a crown around her head. He casually leaned on a display case, hovering over her with the same lopsided grin that he had been giving every girl in sight over the last month and a half. He whispered something in the girl's ear, causing her to flush pink and giggle.