Chapter 27 - Just One

"Absolutely not."

Michael had known Alie would object to their plan. He calmly took another bite of the pear-like apple that they'd picked for breakfast from a nearby tree. They walked along a path through the wood, taking care not to be seen by any other travelers. They hadn't run into anyone yet, thankfully. He hoped it would stay that way.

Darrel tossed one of the spherical fruits back and forth between his palms. "Think about it, Alie. You need more training. Sure, you held your own against Sole before, but could you have defeated him? He's incredibly powerful, and I can guarantee he won't let you get away with anything the next time he sees you."

Alie remained surprisingly calm, though her answer was firm. "I'm aware."

"Not to mention, leaving him behind like that was kind of a slap in the face," Darrel continued. "He's probably going to want revenge."

"Most likely."

Darrel shot her a scolding look. "And yet, you're still not willing to take a short break to enhance your skills?"

"The realm can't afford for me to take a break. It needs my help right now."

"You're no help to the realm if Sole kills you," Darrel pointed out.

"You think I haven't realized that?" Alie held her head high as she stared him down. "That's why I decided not to go after him."

Michael frowned. He looked to Darrel, but the thief just gave a puzzled shrug of his shoulders in response. "What do you want to do instead?"

"Take the matter to his superior."

Darrel's confusion deepened. "Commander Sole doesn't have a superior."

"Of course he does," Alie said. "He answers to the emperor, doesn't he?"

Both boys instantly froze. Darrel's look of horror mirrored exactly how Michael felt. While the thief stammered for words, Michael asked, "Why do you want to see the emperor?"

"Because." Alie turned around with a small huff of annoyance, placing one hand on her hip. She had that look on her face that promised she wouldn't budge on her decision, no matter how strong his argument was. "One of two things has happened. Either Commander Sole made a decision all on his own to corrupt worlds and steal magic, in which case, the emperor should be made aware of what is happening so that he can step in and deal with the situation. Or, the emperor is the one who told the Commander to do those things, which means that going after Sole won't be enough fix the problem. Either way, I have to see the emperor."

"But why not wait?" Darrel asked, his voice high in a panicked whine. "The emperor is way more powerful than Commander Sole. If you can't face Sole yet, there's no way you can go head to head with the emperor."

"There's no guarantee that the emperor is at fault here," Alie insisted. "And even if he is, the realm can't afford for me to sit out on the sidelines, not even to give me time to grow stronger. Every day that Sole is able to continue his corruption is another day that people suffer. Every day the realm waits for me to stop the theft of its magic, another city endures what happened to Li'ia. Every day I spend training, another world grows closer to the fate of the Unknown."

Alie clenched her jaw. "I am going to the capitol to face the emperor and tell him what is happening to his realm. Hopefully, he wants to help me right what has been wronged. But if he doesn't, then I will do what is necessary." She clenched the hilt of the Ultimate with a tight fist, as if swearing an oath to keep her word. "I will never be 'ready' for a battle with the emperor. So, it is foolish to put off the inevitable. No matter if I win or lose, I'm going to stand up for this realm."