Joey and I talked on the way back to my house, I had a shitty day so it was nice to just talk and have a good conversation with him. I don't know, being around him made me feel better. He said stupid things which made me laugh, whether it was on purpose or not I enjoyed it either way. 

As we were approaching my house I could sense Joey become tense, "What? What's wrong?" I asked, "Um, Hayes is walking up the street," he told me, I glanced over my shoulder and saw the blonde. I didn't know if he had seen us but I grabbed Joey's hand and ran over to my front door, quickly going inside and slamming it behind us. 

We both looked at each other and laughed softly, however, neither of us let go of the other one's hand, the laugher faded Joey and I just looked at each other. I stared into his which were a dark brown with hues of amber, they were warm and luminous and told a story, a story I didn't fully know quite yet. 

Our moment ended when there was a loud thud that came from somewhere in the backyard, it caused me to flinch and while doing so I let go of his hand. "What was that?" Joey asked, caught off guard, "I have absolutely no idea" we set down our things and walked towards the back. 

I looked out the windows and didn't see anything at first, but then I noticed a baseball near the pavement. My eyes widened slightly, "Oh shit" I said under my breath, I wasn't very quiet because Joey heard "What?", I opened the sliding door and went outside, he followed behind me. 

I picked up the ball and held it in my hand, "This is one of Hayes's baseballs, look it has his initials on it" I turned the ball to show Joey the very faint B.H writing on the ball, "He probably hit the chair" the brown-haired boy looked at me in confusion "Hayes? but he knows his dad likes you" "I think that after this morning, he knows he's fucked so he just doesn't care anymore" I explained. 

"We gotta go find Mouth and Book" "No thanks, you heard what Mouth said to me, it's not like he'd be any help anyway" "He says shit like that all the time that doesn't mean he means it," Joey told me, "I doubt it" "I've known him for years, Nat, trust me" I sigh "Fine, let's leave now then"