Chapter 5

"You're luckily not running a fever."

Kyo didn't respond, too tired to understand the older man's concern. He merely nodded as he stood up and exited Shigure's room.

Shigure watched him with a frown before laying down to get some sleep himself, wincing slightly as worry for the redhead crept into his mind.

To him, it almost felt out of character to be so openly concerned for anyone other than himself and... Akito. Should he even be worried? A part of him thinks he's overreacting while his instincts are telling him something else. That something was definitely wrong with Kyo and that he should do something about it.

Tohru had said it was only a cold, but she wasn't a doctor. None of them were, only Hatori was, and he wouldn't be able to check on any of them until he was done back at the estate with Akito and Momiji.

He shrugged the thoughts away, chalking it up to him, overthinking, and quickly drifted off to sleep.

It was early the following day, and Tohru was in high spirits. Hatori had called her phone just before she had the chance to get out of bed to make breakfast.

Momiji's fever was finally going down, and he informed her if it breaks tonight, he would be coming over to check on everyone tomorrow afternoon.

Only one day by herself and everyone would get professional help.

Thank goodness, too, because running around between the three was very exhausting, and she only knew the basics of taking care of the sick. Yuki wasn't getting any better; his fever, although not that bad, refused to break, he had little to no appetite, much like Shigure, and his coughing fits were becoming more frequent. Shigure couldn't keep anything down and was probably severely dehydrated. For Kyo, he was much more distant. Besides an off-and-on fever, she didn't know how he was doing. She tried asking, but he would only tell her he was tired.

She quietly exited her room, closed the door behind her, and started for Kyo's room first to check up on him, but instead, she was met with said boy slumped against the wall beside Shigure's door.

She hurried to his side, fearing the worst, and gently called out his name in hopes of arousing him without waking up the others. Her frown deepened, however, when he didn't respond immediately.

She bit her lip and tried shaking his shoulder in hopes of him waking up, but he remained still, his head falling to his chest. Her heart picked up and gently called his name out a little louder.

Flashbacks from her childhood suddenly assaulted her, Images of her crying mother, her grandfather's smile, and the spot where her dad was supposed to be.

She didn't want to lose anyone else, definitely not Kyo.

She knew she shouldn't jump to conclusions, to fear the worst, but he wasn't waking up. He was so still, just like her father was all those years ago. She fought hard not to cry but was slowly losing, that's why she signed with relief when he had started to come to.