Thoughts

Really, it was worse than hearing the tears of a newborn on a Paris Washington flight. It was still as cold and narrow, glaucous and macabre and oppressive. Now he understood what could push some guys to say everything; they wanted to get out of here. And Evan would die of envy.

He had spent more time in this room than in his apartment in twenty-four hours. He could have taken up residence there in a way. Something told him that this was what he needed. Let's lock him in one square meter and throw the key away.

The handcuffs clenched his wrists but he had not complained about it. He was guilty, it was irrevocable, why was he the only one to be convinced?

-Mr. Buckley, began the man as he entered the interrogation room, a bottle of water under his arm, a file under the other. I'm the officer who will conduct your interrogation, don't you see any drawbacks?

Did he see a disadvantage in the man who questioning him being black, fairly round and bald? Not the least, what a stupid question. The disadvantage was that Athena was not there and he found himself in unknown territory.

He shook his head.

-Very well, I inform you that our conversation will be recorded, you can ask to see a lawyer at any time and you are not forced to answer all the questions although it is advisable.

It's okay, he saw where Athena was. She was in each of these words and he easily imagined her describing to his colleague what he should say if he intended to keep his job. She was a remarkable lieutenant, but sometimes when it touched the family a little too much, she became formidable.

He nodded again saying that he understood.

-Can you explain in detail exactly what happened? Take your time if necessary.

Buck looked up to the upper right corner of the room, they were observed, he was tied up and locked in the slightest loophole. Anyway, he had no reason to want to escape, Athena had told him, he had simply defended himself. Yet why did he have so much trouble staying in place?

-Where should I start? He asked it, slumping in his chair.

-From the beginning.

***

-Here.

Chimney showed him the pack of cakes and she grabbed them with angry fingers. She ate three cookies in a few bites and slaried on the couch, legs in the air.

-How do you feel?

The firefighter sat on the second chair and stood straight on the edge of the seat, slightly worried.

Maddie had not said much since returning from the hospital, all that came out of his mouth were insults to a dead man and from there police lieutenant who had put in place all this headache.

-Athena will regret it, she repeated constantly looking at the ceiling.

-You know that... Buck would have gone anyway?

She turned around and pointed him with a piece of cake.

-Do not accuse my brother, this fool has the habit to create trouble, she added for herself.

-He's going to get by, you'll see, in less than a week he'll be back on the fire.

-He killed a man Chimney, we can't recover from that in a second.

He was going to say something but changed his mind. Maddie knew what she was talking about, and entering this terrain was dangerous, very dangerous, just talking about it. Even dead, Doug still had a heavy impact on certain lives.