Chapter 2

"Hi! I'm Josie, your tour guide."

"I'm Lizzie."

Twins. Fraternal. Obvs.

But nothing came except the silent echoes of a past life in Lizzie's thoughts. Her introduction was only met by Josie with a dutiful, distant smile.

"Classrooms are this way." Josie led the way without a second glance at Lizzie. "Chemistry of Magic, Origin of Species, Latin I ..." Josie rattled them off, pointing to doors and never slowing her speed. Lizzie was glad she already knew all this so she could focus on quick-stepping after Josie instead. "... and Spell Lab." Josie swung around, smiling proudly. "And that's all the classrooms. The dorms are this way. You'll probably end up living with Hope Mikaelson or Finch Tarrayo. They're the only two girls without a roommate right now."

"Who's your roommate?" Lizze asked.

"My girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" Last time Lizzie was here, Finch was Josie's girlfriend.

"Yeah. Penelope Park. We used to date, then she moved away and we decided not to do the long-distance thing, but now she's back and not going anywhere." Josie tossed a pigtail down her back, grinning at something over Lizzie's shoulder. "In fact ... there she is now."

Lizzie turned as if in slow-motion, horror washing over her. Josie was right. There was Penelope Park, in the flesh, back from the dead - or Belgium. Same thing.

Her hair had grown a lot since Josie burned it all off sophomore year. It still wasn't the same length as it was before, but it was close. Lizzie thought she had a couple more piercings too, but she couldn't be sure.

"Who are you?" Penelope asked, crinkling her nose as she looked Lizzie up and down.

"I'm -"

"She's a new student," Josie jumped in. "And we just finished our tour."

"But the dorms -"

"My dad will tell you who your roommate is." Josie waved Lizzie away with four fingers and a condescending look. Penelope ducked her head to hide her laughter at the poor new girl behind her brown waves.

Lizzie stared after them with a slack jaw. Penelope had decided to come back for Josie? After all the speeches and letters and tears, now? And Josie just left Finch and forgave Penelope for all the pain she'd caused? Something had to be horribly wrong in her sister's life.