Chapter 15

Lizzie was relieved to see her father's schedule hadn't changed since she was wiped from the collective conscience - or maybe she was disappointed. Either way, it was convenient for her to sneak down to the armory while her father was at his weekly staff meeting. 

She was surprised to find the door open. She knew her father would never just leave it open. Dorian was the only other staff allowed down there, and according to her father, he was still on his honeymoon. Lizzie peered inside, even more surprised to find Penelope rummaging through the shelves.

"What are you doing?" Lizzie asked, stepping all the way in and crossing her arms, readying herself for a fight.

"Relax," Penelope said instead, not even hesitating in her hunt. "I'm not doing anything new. An old, really important spell of mine just needs re-juicing."

Lizzie furrowed her eyebrows. Why was Penelope not insulting her? Or threatening her into silence? Or both?

"What are you looking for?" Penelope finally turned to look at Lizzie over her shoulder, brown curls bouncing around her face. "I probably know where it is."

"A … thing …" Lizzie held up her hands in a circle about the size of the ascendant. "Rusty, real steampunk-looking, very powerful and probably well hidden."

Penelope arched an eyebrow, not even having to think about her response. "An ascendant?"

Lizzie's jaw dropped.

"Oh come on." Penelope laughed lightly. "I'm dating the last living gemini witch. You don't think I'd know everything there is to know about the coven she'll run one day?"

"I … I guess." Lizzie was still reeling from the shock.

"The question is what do you want with the ascendant?" Penelope turned from the shelves and strode towards Lizzie, face tilted down questioningly the entire way.

Lizzie considered this new Penelope for a minute before she answered. "I'm not looking to banish anyone - yet. I need to visit someone who's in a prison world. I'm afraid no one's gone to visit him in a long time."

Penelope nodded and didn't question her answer. She turned back to her original search. "Well there's no ascendants down here. Believe it or not, something like an ascendant is gonna be a little more locked up than all these dark artifacts."

"And you have an idea where." Lizzie sank into one hip and stared at her. 

"Mmm ... headmaster's office?"

"Already checked."

"Headmaster's bedroom?"

"Really?" Lizzie scrunched up her nose. "You think it would be in there?"

"You'd want to keep something like that as close as possible, wouldn't you?"

Lizzie nodded. "You're right." She eyed the back of Penelope's head, debating saying anything at all. "Thanks … Penelope."

"No problem."

Lizzie closed the door quietly behind her. If she didn't know better, she would say Penelope was just … nice to her.

Lizzie shuddered at the thought. Penelope was the mean one. She had hated Lizzie back when she remembered her. Hell, she had hated Lizzie yesterday. How could now be any different?