Chapter 12

Lizzie bounced her pen in one hand, nervously fidgeting with her thumbnail on the other. It wasn't like going to class was anything new, but it felt like there were a hundred eyes on her - far beyond what she had expected for being a new student. That didn't even take into account the whispers.

Alaric cleared his throat as the students settled down. "Alright." He started writing on the chalkboard, talking away about the lesson plan.

Lizzie was far too deep in her thoughts to be paying attention. The ascendant wasn't in the headmaster's office. Maybe it was in the armory. There were a lot of magical artifacts down there. If someone didn't know what something was, she was sure it would get stuck down there with the rest of the supernatural mysteries.

She almost nodded to herself, and then she remembered how many people were staring at her. It was a good plan nonetheless, and she was already planning how to sneak down there after class. She had just about finished the details of her plans when something snapped her in the face.

"Hey!" Lizzie cried out in surprise, jumping back.

"What?" Josie whirled around, the pigtail that had just smacked her in the face falling over her shoulder.

"You just flipped your hair in my face!"

"No, I didn't." Josie screwed up her face as she stared at Lizzie. The room had gone silent, all eyes on them. Alaric tried to keep the class going. "Are you delusional?" Josie demanded loudly, almost smiling at the situation. "There has to be some pill you can take to help with that."

Alaric cleared his throat. "If we could get back to history -"

"I don't think anything I take can make you not a liar," Lizzie said, pressing her palms flat on the desk. She could feel an explosion coming on.

"Yeah, I'm lying," Josie scoffed with a laugh and a roll of her eyes. "We all know you're crazy. Everyone knows you almost killed me and my dad. Why would anyone believe you?"

Lizzie sprang to her feet. For a brief moment, she considered lashing out at Josie, but she knew it wasn't her fault. It was hers. She was the one who jumped in Malivore. She was the one who made her sister like this.

So Lizzie did what she did best - exactly what Landon said she was doing - and she ran. She ran all the way back to her and Hope's dorm, and she couldn't close the door behind her fast enough.

The furniture in the room rattled, the dressers slamming against the wall. Hope's things fell to the floor, and Lizzie felt guilt course through her. She didn't want to ruin Hope's things - she was sick of ruining everything. If she could just stop breaking -

Lizzie spun around and her fist connected with the mirror, a web of cracks spreading out from the bloody spot her hand touched. She screamed, half from the pain and half from the anger, clutching her hand close to her chest. She reached a hand out, blindly slashing it through the air and sending the mirror crashing to the floor. Glass rained out of the frame.

"No, no, no! Fuck you!" Lizzie yelled at the mirror, stepping to the other side of the room. Glass shards swirled slowly through the air, building their way up against her will. "Please, no." She watched as they floated dangerously, catching the light. Lizzie was just about to close her eyes and let go when she heard the door open.

"Whoa!" Hope planted her feet and flung her hand out, stopping the glass in the air and dropping it all to the floor in a single motion. With another easy wave of her hand, the mirror righted itself and all the glass shards flew back into place. "Are you okay?"

Hope rushed forward, grabbing at Lizzie's hand.

"You should stay back," Lizzie warned. She could feel the tears coming.

"What happened?" Hope asked instead. Her eyes were full of concern when she looked up at Lizzie. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"No, you're bleeding."

Lizzie pulled her hand back. "I did this to myself."

"Here." Hope bit into her wrist and offered it to Lizzie. "It's vampire blood. It'll heal you."

Lizzie shook her head. "I don't want to be a vampire."

"So don't die in the next 24 hours." Hope shook her hand impatiently. "Come on. Before I heal."

Lizzie reluctantly took it, swallowing the few drops she needed forcefully. "Thanks," she muttered, wiping her mouth and watching her wound heal.

"It's no problem," Hope said. She dropped to her knees in front of her dresser, picking up fallen jewelry.

"I'm sorry." Lizzie brushed at her tears. "I hope I didn't break anything."

"Nothing a little magic couldn't fix anyways," Hope replied pleasantly. Something caught her eye by the bed and she reached for it. "Hey," she said, smiling and holding the necklace lovingly. "My favorite necklace." She grinned up at Lizzie. "I guess everything happens for a reason."

"The reason is that I'm broken," Lizzie said miserably. She collapsed backwards on her bed, still holding her hand even though it was completely healed. "And everyone knows it."

"I ... I heard about the kitchen," Hope admitted.

"You and every other student here."

"Can I show you something?"

Lizzie lifted her head an inch. "I'm really not in the mood."

"It'll help. I promise."