Chapter 14

Lizzie pushed the door open. It creaked ominously.

"Thanks for meeting me so late." Alaric gestured to the chair opposite his desk, patiently waiting for her to sit.

Lizzie nervously lowered herself into the chair. "Why am I here?"

"Well, you ran out of my class earlier today."

"Right …" Lizzie looked to the side guiltily. She'd almost forgotten about that. That morning felt like weeks ago. She knew where this was going unfortunately. "So I'm in trouble. Detention?"

Alaric leaned back in his chair. "I actually just wanted to know why."

Lizzie stared at him. There was no way he didn't notice her and Josie practically yelling at each other. The whole class was staring.

"I guess I mean to ask: do you and Josie have a problem?"

Lizzie picked at the side of her thumbnail. This felt like a trick question. The headmaster asking her if she had a problem with his daughter - as if she wasn't his daughter as well. But he didn't know that. She sighed.

"I'll just take my detention slip."

"Answer the question." It came out more pleading than commanding.

"I … She doesn't like me very much."

"What?" Alaric laughed a little in disbelief. "Josie loves everybody. Probably a little too much."

"She hates me. And Ho- my roommate too," Lizzie spilled. Hope may not say anything. But Lizzie would. They couldn't talk about her best fr- her roommate like that. "She says some really awful things to us. She was the one who spread those rumors about my episode."

Alaric looked like someone had just yanked the rug from under his feet. His face hardened into an unreadable, braced expression. "I'll take care of it."

"No you won't." Lizzie accused boldly. What was he going to do? Get angrier? "She's your daughter. She'll get what? A slap on the wrists? No allowance for a week? And it doesn't undo anything anyways."

Alaric stood. "I will see you tomorrow morning, in my class - for the entire hour, Miss Potter."

Lizzie hung her head as she rose to her feet, wordlessly taking her leave. She was still hanging her head when she almost bumped into someone in the hallway. 

"Hey." Finch smiled wide when she recognized her. "Are you busy?"

"I …" Lizzie sighed, exhaustion creeping in. "A little."

"Well the wolves are hanging out at the Old Mill. Some beer, a bonfire, lots of fun. You should come join us."

Lizzie narrowed her eyes at the way Finch's smile never wavered. There was no way she had missed everything. "I probably shouldn't …"

"Look, I know … I know Josie and her mean girl squad are out to get you for this week or whatever." That was one way to put it gently. "But wolves don't care about witch business. You're always invited to hang with us, no questions asked."

Lizzie's smile was sincere. "Thank you. Not tonight, but definitely another time."

"Sure thing." Finch patted her arm softly as she stepped around her. Lizzie stared after her, the corners of her mouth staying turned up long after Finch had turned the corner and left her sight.