part 24

Then

Taking out the cold soda from the vending machine, I press it against my sweaty neck. Even though it's going to be autumn in a few weeks, it's incredibly hot today and makes me feel like I'm in an oven.

All I wanted to do today was lay in bed all day inside my air-conditioned room. But work is work. Nothing I can do about it really, I need the money.

The children's laughter fills the air in this park. I look at them, playing on the swings and slides as I take a sip. They are so carefree. No need to worry about money or rent, just study and play.

A flash of light catches my attention. A girl, seemingly around my age, dressed in a pale green sundress, stands a bit further from the play area and takes pictures of the park and the kids from her camera.

I try to tell myself that maybe she's some kid's sister but the uneasiness doesn't go away.

After a moment, I walk up to her.

"Excuse me?"

She moves the camera away from her face and looks at me with her bright green eyes.

"Yes?"

"Is your sibling over there somewhere?" I ask casually pointing towards the kids.

"No, I'm not with anyone here." She says nonchalantly.

"In that case, I don't think you should be taking photographs of people's kids like that. You aren't a creep are you?." I ask her. She frowns.

"Why would you think that?"

I smile "I'm pretty sure that's what you'd think too if our roles were reversed. Now I'm gonna ask you to kindly delete those pictures and then be on your way."

"Look, I understand what you're saying but the truth is that these children's moms asked me to do it. Something about a kid's scrapbook. Didn't you see them sitting over there?" She says and points in the direction where the parents are having a picnic under some trees. Guess I didn't see them.

"If you don't believe me, you can ask them yourself." She continues. A mother watches us looking at them and waves at her. She smiles and waves back.

"I see. My bad."

She then proceeds to take another picture. I'm about to walk away when she starts talking again.

"No worries. As you said, if I was in your place I'd have done the same. Although I'd have either broken the camera or called the police."

I smirk "You disappointed I didn't break your camera or got you arrested?"

She laughs. It's a sweet sound that I can get used to.

I check my watch and notice that I'm going to be late. I wave her goodbye and make my way out of the park.

On some weird impulse, I glance back at her.

That was the first encounter. After that, I saw her often.

She goes to skybrook high school, Which happens to be on my way to work. She was there, walking among a crowd, stoic and tired. As I saw other students laugh and meet up with their friends while she just kept walking, I wondered if she had any friends. Of course, I didn't approach her. Why would I?

I get to see her most of the time now. I find myself getting up on time and passing by the gate hoping to see her in the crowd. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I'm not a creep. I don't follow her or pursue her with any hidden intentions. Plus getting up on time is good.

She's just a person I'm a bit curious about, that's all. Like a favorite character in a movie.

I still don't know her name though. Don't really care but would be good to know.

Today was different though. I saw her sitting at the bus stop nearby with a bouquet next to her. I can tell she had been crying due to her puffy and red face.

I stopped, contemplating on what to do. I want to comfort her. Ask her what's wrong. I hate seeing people cry.

But really...I'm a total stranger and she'll think I'm a creep.

The bus arrives and she gets up, grabbing the flowers. I notice a piece of white paper fall from the bouquet. She doesn't see it and enters the bus. After it drives away, I walk up to the bench and pick it up.

'Dear mom and dad. Thanks for everything. May you rest in peace.'

Her parents? Seems like they died or is it their death anniversary? That would explain why she was sad. Should I give it back to her?

She really is all alone...does she live independently like I do or with some relatives?

I really should learn to mind my own business...

I throw the card in a trashcan nearby and walk away.

Focus on work you dimwit!

A few seconds later, I'm back at the trashcan, frantically searching around for the card. She'd be wanting it back right? Maybe I'll keep it with me until I see her again and then give it back to her.