Chapter Six: This is Alpha Team - Act Three

We all snuck to a broken-down wall and peeked over. A bunch of henchmen were guarding the building.
"There's too many guards to blast our way in," Buck whispered.
"I can give you a piggyback ride if you're worried about it," Tommy joked.
"Tommy," I was about to scold, but Buck beat me to it.
"My legs are normal size. And I know because I measured them against a German soldier yesterday!"
"You used the starving Nazi from the 1940s as a benchmark?"
"Guys, shut up," Eddie said.
Eddie and I watched as the prostitute walked into the fort without trouble. Suddenly, I had a plan.
"Eddie," I said, looking at him, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
He smirked at me, "I think I might be."
All of a sudden Buck grabbed Tommy by his neck scarf and growled, "The dead Nazi was very well fed, by the way. I saw a full steak in his flayed-open stomach."
I pulled him away and forced him to look at me, "Easy, Boy. Your legs are completely normal."
Buck rolled his eyes, "Yeah, okay, Miss Thunder Thighs."
I smiled at the nickname, "Miss Thunder Thighs, huh?"

The plan was to have Eddie tie his rope around our wrists and pretend that he was turning us all in.
"Dude, no way they'd fall for this," Tommy argued.
"Calm down. This isn't a movie where all the guards are interrogation experts. Most henchmen make minimum wage, and they're outrageously stupid."
He then knocked on the door three times and a henchman walked out.
"Who's there?" he asked.
"I got three more for ya," Eddie said as we all tried to look sad.
The guy rubbed his chin as he thought. "Hmm. I thought you might be here to break out all these hostages and kill our leader. But those guys' hands are tied."
Tommy, Buck and I all looked at each other and smiled. The plan was working.
"Okay, come on in."
As he walked us in he asked us where we got paid.

Looking around the fort we saw that every NPC was tied up and guarded by a different henchman. In front of us was Two-Buck Chuck himself, looking exactly like how he looked on his Wanted poster.
"Hey! You in charge around here?" Eddie asked.
"Seems that way, doesn't it?" Chuck's voice was coarse and rough, probably from smoking at least twenty cigars a day.
"I got three more for ya."
"From my perspective, it looks like I got four."
Oh shit.
We all looked at each other in fear. The henchman counted us and facepalmed.
"Oh! My bad. I did have a feeling, though."
"Kill 'em, boys," Chuck said as he and the others drew their guns.
Oh boy, here I go killing again.

Eddie pulled his rope and whipped it at a bunch of guards upstairs.
"Take cover!" Buck yelled as we all jumped.
As I made it to a nearby wall I heard, "Ahhh! My leg!"
I turned to see that Buck had been shot.
"Buck!"
I quickly ran over to where Buck was laying and sat in front of him.
"Buck, are you alright?" I asked.
"The bullet...it's so deep in the muscle!" He moaned in pain.
I checked my pockets to see if I had any bandages with me, but unfortunately, I didn't. So instead I untied my neck scarf and gently wrapped it around Buck's wound to ease the pain.
Buck was breathing heavily and muttering under his breath.
"Hey, hey," I said, "You're okay, look at me, look at me."
I cupped Buck's cheek and turned his head so that our eyes met. His irises didn't have much colour to them — and neither did mine — but still, something about them made me feel a certain way. They looked glassy and I might've seen a tear being shed.
"Look at me, Buck. You're gonna be okay," I reassured in a calm tone, "Everything's gonna be okay, I promise."
I smiled and wiped his tears away, "I've got you. You're safe with me."
He chuckled a bit, "Thank you, Jackie. You're amazing."
We looked at each other for a while before he slowly leaned in and ran his hand in my hair. I closed my eyes as I leaned forward.

SPLAT!

Buck and I stopped what we were doing and turned to see that Tommy had gotten his head stomped on by a horse. We both shivered at the sight of his corpse.
Enemies were coming for us so I started blasting at them. Eddie was able to whip Two-Buck Chuck's gun out of his hand, standing up and pointing his gun at him.
"Looks like it's game over," he said.
But before he could shoot him, Chuck grabbed the prostitute and held a knife to her throat.
"Eddie, take the shot," I heard Ruby say.
Eddie started to slowly move his gun to where he could shoot, but Two-Buck Chuck had him beat.
"Shoot him!" I yelled.
"Is he trying to save her?" Buck said.
"He better not be!" I said.
He just stood there, not doing anything besides debating whether or not to just kill a digital prostitute.
"Eddie, I don't care if you kill a fake hooker!" Ruby yelled.
Two-Buck Chuck kicked a barrel of oil over, causing a giant fire to spread between him and Eddie.
After pleading from both the prostitute and Ruby Eddie finally made a choice.
"I...I can't."
Everyone went silent in shock. I wasn't exactly pissed at him but more just irritated. I stood up and walked over.
"Eddie," I said, "why are you even bothering to save a digital whore? You're not gonna impress anybody! Now shoot that guy, or I swear to—"

BANG!

"AH, FUCK!" I screamed, collapsing to the ground as my stomach started to bleed out. Goddamn.
"Jackie!" Buck and Eddie cried.
"Why the hell did we program this thing to feel pain?! I don't even have health insurance!"
That wasn't true, by the way.
I looked up, but my vision started to become blurry, and that's when I noticed Buck had crawled to me and held me in his arms.
"Buck, what are you doing?"
He grabbed my pistol and pointed towards Two-Buck Chuck's leg, and when he got a good aim, he fired.
Chuck collapsed to his knees with the prostitute still in his possession.
"Eddie, now's your chance," Buck yelled, "the floor is lava!"
He pointed to the three henchmen on the ceiling. Eddie looked at them, then Chuck and back at them again. He then started to yell and ran towards the firewall.
"What is he doing?"
"Don't worry, he might use his brains for once," Buck said, making me giggle.
Eddie then jumped and shot the first guy, using his corpse to not touch the fire.
"He's...not touching the floor," I said in amazement.
Then another guy went down, and another. Finally, Eddie was up in the air, ready to chew gum and kick ass. Except he didn't have any gum.
"The greatest player of our time."
Eddie then kicked the prostitute out of Two-Buck Chuck's arms and aimed at him before he could pick up his gun.

BANG!

A corpse was all that remained of Chuck. We were silent for a moment, until we heard cheering from outside the game. The grid was 100% restored.
As Eddie took the hooker's hand and lifted her, I heard Ruby comment, "You risked the whole mission just to save a digital prostitute?"
"It was the right thing to do," Eddie replied, lAnd that, Ruby, is what makes us Alpha Team."
Oh, bullshit. He just wanted to prove he didn't suck at don't touch the floor, I thought.
"Pretty good day to save the world, huh, Eddie?" Ruby then said.
"Yeah, Ruby. Yeah, it was."

Huh, he impressed Ruby. Good for him.
But Buck and I were still bleeding.
"THERE IS A GIANT HOLE IN OUR TINY BODIES! GET US OUT OF THIS GAME NOW!"