Guarded - Part 7

It had been a few weeks since the assassination attempt, and things were quiet around the palace, but the quiet was what unnerved Hunter. Quiet always led to complacency, and complacency is when people got killed. There were always aftershocks, actions and reactions, but it was as if the Empire had just faded from existence, and therefore, from everyone's minds. He knew his men were still doing the best that they could, but he hadn't missed how they'd started to slowly relax, Tech especially. They all knew he'd been sneaking out at night to spend time with Kestia, and Wrecker and Echo teased him lightly about it, which he seemed to take in stride, but that sort of comfort was what concerned Hunter, even though he certainly couldn't fault them for it. He and Wrecker had briefed Tech about their suspicions after the assassination attempt, but he hadn't seemed convinced, and that further concerned Hunter. He's losing his ability to be objective.

Oddly enough, the one he was least worried about was Crosshair, mainly because the sniper hadn't formed any sort of close relationship with the queen and continued to keep his distance from the squad. In fact, it seemed as though the tension between Kestia and Crosshair had increased, although Kestia never mentioned it in her briefings with Typho and Hunter. Even though it was good tactically for the mission, it felt like a loss for the clone sergeant. Crosshair had confronted him a few more times about the sniper incident before seemingly consigning himself to silence, going about his guard shifts without so much as a word to any of them.

As for he and the queen, Hunter had quickly come to understand why most of his squad became comfortable around her. She was easy to talk to, showing interest in them and their individual histories when they had a moment or two alone. She seemed genuinely invested in getting to know the people around her and understanding what made them tick, what made them unique. Certainly a quality more politicians could use. It endeared her to them, and perhaps that was a good thing, making her safety more important, but it also made them comfortable. Too comfortable.

Hunter's thoughts and concerns continued to torment him as he headed into the latest briefing with Typho. The queen was sitting behind her desk in the throne room as usual, two empty chairs set in front of her desk for them to sit in. Hunter took his seat next to the Captain, who was already thumbing through a datapad and greeted him with a slight nod. He removed the helmet he was wearing, scratching at his scalp where the helmet pressed down. He missed just wearing his bandana, but he understood the need to stow it away, opting instead to tie his longer hair back in a bun that was easily stowed under the guard helmet. All part of the job.

Kestia smiled at him once he got situated. "So gentlemen, what's on the docket this week?"

Typho's eyes never left the screen of his datapad as he launched into her agenda. "The usual engagements for the first half of the week. You've got a few ambassadors coming to meet with you this afternoon. The agricultural union has asked for some of your time towards the middle of the week. Senator Anden is going to be back for the gala at the end of the week and has requested an audience before then. And then of course, there's the actual gala itself."

"Gala?" Hunter asked.

"Yes, every year, we hold a celebration of peace with our closest allies in the system to commemorate their aiding us in recovery after the Trade Federation Invasion. The celebration is meant as a sort of continued gratitude and promise of peace between our worlds. Centuries ago, several of the planets represented were our sworn enemies, and we were constantly warring until each of us respectively adopted a culture of peace. It's an honor to host it, and meeting with the respective leaders and representatives is critical to our continued alliance. We also use it as an opportunity to memorialize those that gave their lives protecting the planet, such as Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn."