Guarded - Part 22

Author's Note: character death and graphic description of injury in this chapter, so if those topics are upsetting, please proceed with caution.

Echo raced through the forest, stopping periodically to usher those behind him along faster. Iden and Crosshair had scrambled down from their vantage point on the cliffs and were now running alongside him, ushering their troops back through the forest, trying to cover their retreat.

"KEEP MOVING! GET TO THE SPEEDERS!"

Militia members raced by, some carrying or dragging bodies between them. Echo couldn't tell which ones were alive and which ones were dead. A young man fell in front of him, and Echo scooped him up. His eyes were filled with terror. Kriff. He's so young. Echo patted him on the back firmly. "Keep moving. That way. Don't slow down."

Sabé sprinted up to him, taking the young man's arm in her hand and yanking him along, giving Echo a quick nod. "Stay safe."

"I will."

With that, she disappeared into the trees, D-4 trailing behind her.

Echo spotted Iden across the way, setting charges, and he raced over to her. "Can I help?"

She handed him a stack of timed charges. "Set those in a line with five meters in between. We'll use them to cover our escape if they warm those walkers up to come after us." Echo took the explosives, jogging in a line out from Iden, dropping the charges every five steps or so. Once he'd run out, he looked back, and Iden waved at him to keep running. Jex and Inez were sprinting up to them now with Crosshair covering their backs, firing at the stormtroopers that were in pursuit.

"KEEP MOVING!" he barked over his shoulder, picking off three more troopers with his Firepuncher. Jex grabbed Inez's hand, pulling her along behind him. Iden dug through her pouch, digging out a few thermal detonators and tossing them at the advancing line. Echo drew his pistols, helping thin the herd as they backpedaled through the forest. Crosshair knelt down behind a tree, firing round after round. Echo sprinted to him.

"Is this the last of our line?" he asked.

"The last that's alive."

Echo's heart sank. We've lost at least a third of our forces. Iden rustled through the brush until she was crouched near them.

"Time to go, boys."

Crosshair fired off one more round. "That's the last stormtrooper I can see."

"Let's get out of here before they send another wave!" Iden shouted.

Suddenly, the ground beneath them shook, sending Iden tumbling into Crosshair and knocking him back into Echo.

"What the-"

The trees in front of them exploded, sending wooden splinters flying. One caught Iden above her eye, leaving a large gash that immediately sent a flood of blood down her face. Crosshair reached for the wound, but she slapped his hand away.

"I'M FINE! WE'VE GOTTA MOVE!"

Echo's ears were ringing as another jolt sent them stumbling before he grabbed Crosshair by the elbow, wrenching him to his feet. The two of them pulled Iden up and took off as fast as they could back towards the speeders. Another explosion rocked the ground ten meters to their left. Echo chanced a look back over his shoulder, and his breath caught in his throat.

"AT-AT IN BOUND!"

The massive metallic beast stepped into view, crushing the trees in front of it with a durasteel claw. Echo, Iden, and Crosshair managed to dive into a small dry creekbed just as the walker's head turned and targeted them, sending a volley of fire after them. They ducked low, shielding their heads as dirt and rocks flew around them.