Guarded - Part 11

Author's Note: character death and graphic description of injuries in this chapter

Hunter was out of bed and half dressed in his blacks before Crosshair had even moved a muscle. It took Hunter placing a hand on his shoulder and shaking him to bring him back to reality. "Better get a move on," the sergeant said gently, and Crosshair felt irritation at the concern in his features. He shoved his brother's hand from him, hustling out of bed and throwing his blacks on. His knees felt weak, but he kept moving, ignoring the familiar twist of fear in his gut. No. Not this time. His hands shook slightly as he slid his black and red armor over his limbs, and he cursed as he struggled with the clasps and buckles. Images of the med pod he'd laid in to have his chip enhanced, the memories of being thrown in the cell, the anger he'd felt as he'd shot Wrecker on Kamino all haunted him, and he managed to suppress a shudder until Hunter was outside.

As the door hissed shut behind Hunter, Crosshair was left by himself, and he crouched down for a moment, tucking his head between his knees and interlacing his fingers on the back of his neck.

Breathe. You've got to breathe. You've got to pull yourself together. It's in the past.

He huffed a few deep breaths, holding them tightly and exhaling hard as he counted down in his mind.

They don't control you anymore. Your decisions are yours. Your mind is your own.

He felt his pulse finally steady, and he pushed himself to his feet. Taking one last deep breath, he grabbed his Firepuncher and helmet before slipping out into the hall and jogging into the sitting area.

They were all awake now and in their gear. Tech's helmet was already on and Wrecker was rubbing sleep from his eyes. Typho stood in the center of the room speaking quietly with Hunter. When they noted Crosshair entered, the conversation stopped and Typho stepped forward to address them all.

"We don't have much time. I'll get straight to the point. The Empire has arrived with a large invasion force, and it's too late for us to scramble our defenses. They are in the process of landing drop ships outside of the city and will be able to make it to the palace in less than twenty minutes with their forces. We have to evacuate the queen immediately."

"We can take her to the Marauder and fly her offworld," Hunter said, but Typho shook his head. "They have already overtaken the location where your ship is housed, and they have a blockade in place anyway. You'll never make it out of the upper atmosphere."

Echo's eyebrow raised. "How the kriff did they get a blockade in place without you knowing?"

Typho hung his head slightly. "They were cloaked in hyperspace and all came out in formation around the planet. This was a very well-coordinated effort. They blocked our offworld communications before we'd even detected them around Naboo. We never stood a chance."

Hunter's face hardened. "Then what are we supposed to do now?"

"There are secure locations set up around the planet to hide the queen in an event such as this. Another Trade Federation Invasion lesson learned. You will take the queen to one of those locations and await word from me. We intend to rally what forces we have."

"Against an entire Imperial invasion force and a blockade of star destroyers?" Crosshair spat. "Why don't you just put a blaster to our heads now and save everyone the trouble."

"Ever the optimist," muttered Tech.

Crosshair shot him a glare and opened his mouth to retort, but Hunter cut him off. "We will do as you ask, but surely you realize how outmatched we are."