Part 15: Strange Man

"..."

"... You've really been getting absentminded while working recently, huh?"

"Wh-What? No, I'm just thinking of something."

"That's basically what absentminded means, you know?"

"H-Hey! Where's Kumoko right now?"

"She's asleep and you still sucked at changing the subject."

"Ugh..."

The two went silent for a while before Miki asked a question.

"...Have you been having fun? In UA, I mean."

Miki's questions urged (Y/N) to stop on top of a building.

"Well, to be completely honest. Yes."

"...Do you think that we can do it? Becoming normal schoolkids, I mean?"

"... No." (Y/N) in an honest tone.

"Why not?"

"If this is 10 Years ago where I didn't start this business yet, I would say yes. But right now? It's a definite no."

(Y/N) sighed and started to explain.

"Back then, I...No, 'Black Spider of Calamity' does not even exist. But today, it was no longer just a name."

"It's a Symbol of the Punish... Executioner of Criminals. Someone who will do what the Heroes could not. Finishing off those who deserves it."

"Thanks to that, the Crime rate lowered significantly with its appearances. However, if he suddenly disappears then the Crime rates would return to how it was. No, it will be even worse."

Miki listened carefully and replied.

"But so what then? It's not as if you're a Chosen One who will save all or anything."

"Miki, I kill at least one person once a week. Although I made sure they deserved it, it still doesn't justify the cost of ending a life. I don't think I'm a Hero, a Saint or a Dark Hero who will hide in the shadows to protect everything. But I believed that I should at least be responsible for what I chose to do in the past."

"All of us needs to take responsibility, huh?" Miki's voice sounded solemn.

"Of course, even if you try to run from it. It'll come back perhaps not in the same form, but it's still the same."

(Y/N) shook his head regretfully.

"Well, when you think about it. It's still feel like shit when you abandon your responsibility though."

"I guess so."

"Well, enough of that. Where else can I find those criminals?"

"Right."

~🌟

At some point, (Y/N) arrived at the rooftop of a building. Overlooking to the other building besides it that is surrounded by a few guards.

On the outside, this place seems like a normal loan company. But as he listens to Miki, (Y/N) knew the true face of this place.

"This place is a money laundering company. From what I've got, they were owned by some bigshot. But getting money illegally is not it's only crime."

"What else?"

"I've got some footage of human auctioning and cross-examines it with the interior of the building. Not only that, I was able to dig through their records and saw the people that they sold."

"...How old are they?" (Y/N)'s voice sounded cold.

"...At the minimum, 10 and the maximum, 17."

The Black Spider gritted his teeth, his fingers almost digged into the flesh of his palm.