Fly Me

word count: 687

⏺️🔼⏹️

The detective looked at the face of his brother, stunned.

The one whom he looked up to, he adored and was proud of...was the one who operated behind those murders. Those sick, creepy, children-themed games. All of those blood were in his hands.

What...

Hwang Junho opened his mouth but no sound came out, too shocked to say anything.

His mind felt chaotic, various emotions ran through him. Disbelief. Confusion. Anger. Dismay. Betrayal.

Hyung, why...

"Come with me, Junho-yah," the frontman, the man with the black mask said.

Junho couldn't look at his mask and call him his brother.

That's not my brother.

Hwang Inho had died.

And from his corpse, a monster was born.

Detective Junho slowly shook his head, his face turning into a grimace as he stared at his brother. He looked hopeless and his expression was pleading.

But pleading for what?

For it not be real?

For his hyung to suddenly say this was all a joke?

For his hyung to come back to someone he knew and not this monster in front of him?

Then the frontman's face turned cold and hard. He raised his gun and aimed at the detective.

Without words,
without remorse,
without shame,
without seeing his younger brother but seeing an enemy,

He shot him.

Fly me to the moon

Junho felt the sharp, painful impact of the bullet to his torso but he was still numb with shock. His body leaning backwards...back out of the cliff and slowly into the sea.

And let me play...

Without words,
without explanation,
without sympathy
without seeing his older brother but seeing a stranger,

He fell.

among the stars...

The frontman stared unseeing in front of him, feeling hollow and numb.

It's necessary.

And Inho believed it. He manifested it.

He schooled his features into a determined coldness. Then put his mask back on before turning and walking away, the red coats falling in steps behind him.

Let me see

The detective's impact against the water was beyond painful, like falling into a cemented pavement. The sharp coldness immediately engulfed him and he was drowning.

What spring is like...

He woke up from his shocked trance and realized he was struggling to breath. Water was filling him up most painfully and he tried closing his mouth but to no avail. He thrashed and fought and kicked wildly. His mouth opened in a helpless, soundless scream. His body was paralyzed with cold and everywhere hurt. The water stung his eyes. He couldn't seem to coordinate his legs and arms to swim.

He was hopeless. The skies had turned darker and he became one with nothingness.

He stopped fighting for his life and closed his eyes, preparing for the inevitable.

...on Jupiter and Mars

A faint sound of machines whirring into life came from the distance.

Jets? Some boats? Junho's mind offered absently.

The sound was nearing above him then there were shouts. Big splashes resonated around the area like something just dived into the sea.

Junho's consciousness was slowly fading but he fought to open his eyes. His chest tightened more and his ribs ached more. His vision was blurry at best and everywhere was dark. But even though in too much pain, he could make out a faint silhouette of someone swimming towards him.

The silhouette reached him, their face was slowly coming into focus just in time the detective blacked out completely.

In other words...

A beeping sound resonated a little to his left ear. Junho groaned as he was coming back to his consciousness. The pain and coldness were gone, replaced by numbness and exhaustion. He vaguely recollected what had happened.

What...?

He opened his eyes and was met by the face of the man he couldn't believe was sitting right next to him. Then he remembered it was him who saved him. His eyes widened and he croaked out.

"You-"

"I'm glad you're alive," The man cut him off.

Then his saviour smiled for what felt like the first time in all those long years.

⏺️🔼⏹️