And Let Me Play

I know we all already know that the old man survived then died later. But even so, I still wanted to add this part. This isn't an alternative ending but I just wanted to expound what's in the old man's perspective. The writing structure will be chaotic, be warned.

word count: 1185

⏺️🔼⏹️

Oh Ilnam had seen it all.

He knew yet he didn't speak.
He faced them without guilt.
He took away life without remorse.
He gave riches without so much of a blink.
He was silent, not giving away the truth.

He knows yet he still continues the legacy.

Years. He did this for years.

What for?

Fun and games. With all of his VIP friends.

They watched the bloodshed with pleasure.
They laughed at the deaths of players.
They gambled at the risks of human lives.
They took advantages of ladies and pretty boys at leisure.
They enjoyed the desperation and the pain.
They thrilled at the brutality.

They recognized the immorality yet they ignored it.

Oh Ilnam was there to witness it all behind the screen. He was with them when they laughed, when they raped, when they exchanged jokes at the expense of the players' death. He was with them and he tolerated it.

And now, he was there again. But this time he was not behind but on the screen instead.

He remembered how excited he was then, when the games were still about to begin. The frontman was against it, afraid for his health but he waved it away. I'm dying anyway.

He remembered when he was finally inside the sleeping quarters. He remembered trying to spot if everyone on the documents were there. He remembered being interrupted by that man. Gihun.

He remembered how Gihun was so hard on himself but so easygoing with other people; so trusting and kind that he would still try to take care of Ilnam instead of killing him when he was vulnerable; so naive-looking yet there was a hidden cleverness; and yet with all the good qualities balanced with the bad ones.

"You said even," Gihun lied as he showed Ilnam his marbles.

Ilnam let him.

Fly me...

Why did I let him?

Because he wanted to show him that trusting people is a weakness. He wanted to prove that by showing Ilnam trusted Gihun and in turn, Gihun betrayed him.

He was not angry at the betrayal, however, he merely wanted Gihun to understand it. He wanted Gihun to be careful around others. At this thought, Sangwoo's face flashed in Ilnam's mind. Somehow, he knew that that man would never hesitate to stab Gihun in the back.

The old man sighed internally, I had grown fond for Gihun without planning to. It would be a shame if he got eliminated.

Ilnam embraced Gihun and thought, See you again, my friend.

to the moon...