Let Me See What Spring Is Like

Another SaebyeokXJiyeong action? Hmmm

word count: 1907

⏺️🔼⏹️

There were shouts. People were running. She stood inanimated among the sea of green chaos.

Not only green, she thought as a line of sweat broke through her face.

People were dying. Bodies heaped in puddles of blood. Their own blood.

Somehow absently, Kang Saebyeok thought of Christmas. Green and Red.

"Red light. Green light," The doll said in her girlish, robotic voice.

Her voice sounded teasing, playful. As if taunting them all to fail. And I think I'm starting to go crazy, seeing as I'm thinking as if the doll has human emotions.

Saebyeok didn't understand how everything went from signing up for a game into a literally, bloody chaos. However, she did understand that she could die if she did any of what those dead idiots did earlier.

So she ran and froze and ran again and froze.

"Red light. Green light."

She froze again. Then a slight movement from her left caught her attention. From the corner of her eye, she tried to look at what had caught her attention.

A girl who looked younger than her panted as if the air was knocked out of her lungs. She must've fallen down. She was lying on the ground, appearing frozen with terror while staring at the doll. At least she's frozen.

Saebyeok let her eyes wander around the girl, wondering what made her so terrified when she was perfectly inanimate. Then Saebyeok saw that the girl was actually trying to swat at something from below her knees. It was another hand. A dying woman was clutching at her desperately, whispering pleas. But the younger girl was only trying to shake her off.

The girl must've fallen down because the woman tackled her earlier, Saebyeok thought vaguely.

"Jebal. Let. Me. Go." The girl was gritting her teeth so bad, Saebyeok was afraid she'd break her jaw.

"Red-"

At the re-emergence of the doll's voice, Saebyeok immediately moved. However, she didn't know why she did it. She turned without looking back, tried to located where the two females were, then discretely kicked the hand of the dying woman off the girl. Although, it didn't look intentional to other people's eyes. It looked like she just stumbled on them for a second before regaining control and running forward.

She didn't look back but she did cast a brief glance at the girl. The girl was scrambling to her feet before she turned and shot Saebyeok a shocked yet grateful look. But she seemed not to realize Saebyeok was looking at her.

Saebyeok, however, forgot all about the girl as her focus turned back to the game at hand.

It was later that she realized she didn't even know the girl's game number. They were back at the sleeping quarters when that thought suddenly jumped inside Saebyeok's mind. She wondered why was she suddenly wondering about that young girl. Did she survive the game earlier? Did she managed to get on the line? Or did she...