Help Me, Help You | N.Y. (pt. 2)

Nishida Yuji was one stubborn human being.

After capping the deal with a handshake, you really thought things would run smoothly. Somewhere at the back of your mind, you fervently hoped it would've been as simple as meeting him once a day until his match to ensure he was doing what you instructed him to do. But of course, you were too naive to believe Mr. Obsessed-with-volleyball could spare even an hour to aid his knee's recovery.

At some point, you really felt like you were talking to a wall. No amount of texts or reminders would make Nishida even remotely bothered about your instructions, and through your frustration, you ended up going out of your way to meet him at the gym after his training just to make sure he ices his damn knee.

"It's feeling better," he would declare, still clearly wincing every time you applied pressure on the area. And when you dismissed his comments, he would get mad at you, claiming that you didn't know what you were doing. This dynamic went on for a long, grueling week until you finally started to notice a change in his recovery.

To be fair, Nishida as a person wasn't all that bad (minus the cocky attitude), because amidst the constant bickering and squabbling was a laid-back friendship you never expected to enjoy.

Surprisingly, it seems you two had quite a few things in common apart from both being lefties. Like that one time you both squealed like high-school girls after a lone pigeon landed in your path. Turns out Mr. Tough Guy was also terrified of birds like you were and you both found yourself arguing about who hated the feathery creatures more all the way back to campus.

There were a couple of other similarities in interests too, like your shared love for gaming and your fascination for Korean melodramas. It came to a point where you even threatened to spoil his favorite show if he didn't let you borrow his newest Spiderman DLC. You ended up going to his apartment that day to play it anyway. No shows have been spoiled.

It's been quite an interesting week with Nishida and before you both knew it, the Volleyball Nations League was already right around the corner. The status of his knee wasn't looking as dire anymore thanks to literally spoon-feeding him with hourly reminders and recovery practices every single day. It was hard work, though unfortunately, not hard enough to deem him thoroughly ready for the tournament.

It was a Friday night when you visited him at the gymnasium after practice with the full intention of evaluating his condition. The rest of the team had just left leaving the two of you sat cross-legged on the rubber floors. Handing him a sports drink, you noticed how he looked more exhausted today than usual, adding more concern to your already solicitous mind.

"Dude, you said you would take it easy today," you scolded, giving him a peeved look.

"I did," he said in his defense.

You sigh, "So why do you look like you did a cross-country run after doing a triathlon??" you drawled, as a figure of speech.

He chuckled, "Okay, chill. I may or may not have stayed up late last night," he eyed you carefully, "...playing Valorant," he mousily admitted, making you let out the biggest sigh you've ever given him in a week.

"What did I say about sleep being the most important thing for recovery?" you spill, not afraid of raising your voice at his stubborn ass.

Nishida lifted both of his arms up in surrender, "Okay, okay, sorry. My bad. That was on me. But," he shot you an implied look accompanied by his silly grin. "Thanks to that I made it to Diamond," he declared, with so much pride and joy it almost looked fake.

"Wait, shit, that's kinda cool— Nishida! That's not the point!" you fretted, throwing your hands up. You couldn't believe that you were slightly impressed by that. "Your tournament is tomorrow, do you wanna perform your best or not?" you scold, shoving a towel at his chest which he grabbed with a mocking scowl.