Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

I ran into my dad's house, Tyson tried to grab onto me but I pulled away. I had to see him. I had to see if Alex was telling the truth. I ran past the maids who were standing in the hallway sobbing or stoned faced, I ran past my mother was gently rocking Ashley, my oldest sister, I ran as fast as I could to his room, which was at the end of the mile long hallway.

His door was open; the doctor was sitting by his bed. It all felt like a dream... like I was another universe. My legs felt heavy and made of rubber. I stumbled into his room. The doctor was talking to me, but I didn't hear him. I didn't even look at him. I kept my blurry eyes on my father.

He outstretched his hand and I took it.

''I've been wondering when I would see your face around,'' Dad said with a weak smile

''Yeah, I would have been here sooner, but ya know, traffic.'' I joked timidly, tears threatening to fall

''Don't cry for me... when I'm gone, okay? Don't try to think of all the bad things that's happened these past years. I know it's all been tough on you. But Roca, I want you to know that I am so proud of you. All the struggles that have been thrown your way, you've stuck it out the whole way through. You're very strong, and I love you for that. You're gonna be okay. I know that. You're the one I don't have to worry about, but take care of the others. You're the strong one.''

My heart and voice was breaking as I kissed his hand, ''Dad... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I know I haven't always been the perfect child. I know I've messed up a lot. And I'm sorry,'' I sobbed

He wiped my tears with his strong hands, ''I love you, Roca. Never forget that. You don't have anything you need to be sorry about.''

I could hear his breathing getting fainter and fainter. I held on tight to his hand. The room went silent minutes later. I could feel him let go. His hand went limp... and everything went cold.

I sobbed and sobbed. I felt a hand on my shoulder and then someone grab me from behind. I didn't have to look to see it was Tyson. He let me cry on his shoulder and mourn for my father.