7. LAID TO REST

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something, you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

-Fix You by Coldplay

The next 48 hours were hard for Steve and Sophia. Sophia tried every way to reach Bucky, but he was still very much off the grid.  She left messages on every devise she could think of.  They boarded the Quinjet to London.  Peggy Carter was being buried with the highest honors by the British government and Steve was asked to be a pallbearer.  Sophia and Sam were going with him, knowing that this was going to be difficult.

Sophia wakes up in the hotel room before dawn.  She made her way to the balcony to watch the sun rise in London.  She thought about the woman who taught Steve how to love.  She had met Peggy a couple of times while she was in a nursing home in DC.  Peggy should have been the standard that all women should have been held to.  When she asked for a private moment with Sophia, Sophia wasn't sure how she would be able to handle any comments from Peggy.  She thought back to that day.

'Director Carter?'

'Please, my dear, call me Peggy.'

'I don't know if I can do that, ma'am.  You were one of my heroes growing up.  I'm not sure you even know who I am.'

'My dear, you are a replica of your father.  But you got your mother's tenacity.  That is a good mix of two extraordinary people.'

Sophia blushed at the comparison.  There were very few people who knew much about her parents.

'Sophia, I can see that you love Steve as much, if not more, than I did. I can see that you are strong but scared.'  She took Sophia's hands into her own. 'Don't be scared, sweet Sophia.  You are a Stark. Your father would have been so proud to see you become this woman that I see before me.' 

A tear fell from Peggy's eye. Sophia grabbed a tissue and dabbed at the woman's face.  She smiled.

'It takes an extraordinary woman to love a man like Steve.  You have to be his opposite to be perfect for him.  And you are.  You have my blessing, my darling Sophia, to love him and have a future with him.  Please don't let his love for me overshadow the overwhelming love he has for you.'

'I promise to take care of him, always.  You left me a good man.  I won't take that for granted.' Sophia held Peggy's hand tighter. 'Thank you, Director Carter.  Thank you... Peggy.'

Sophia felt a single tear fall from her eye as she continued to watch the sun rise. 

"Marie? You ok?"

Sophia glanced over at the balcony next to hers.  Sam looked tired.  The fight with Natasha had left him broken. He still hadn't fully explained what happened.   "I'm ok Sam. Just thinking about Peggy.  The last conversation I had with her."  She looked at her friend's eyes.   "You should try to sleep more.  You look like hell."

"Thanks, but I can't.  Not used to sleeping alone anymore.  Plus, I'm worried about Bucky and Steve.  They should be together right now."

"So should you and Nat," Sophia said softly.  She saw the wave of emotion hit Sam and regret of her statement hit her.  "I'm sorry Sam, I didn't mean..."

"It's ok Marie.  She made her choice."

"What happened, Sam?  I could hear you yelling but I didn't hear what was said."

"She wants me to sign. I refused." Sam closed his eyes.  "I can't... I can't do that to you."

"Me?" Confusion laced into Sophia's voice.