14~ What Money Can't Buy

༻𝐑𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐨༺

༻𝐑𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐨༺

I've never felt so conflicted in my life. One minute, it's just business. The next, Liara is in the midst of it all. My thoughts, my house, and all of my heart.

My brother called her ours. But she wasn't ours. She wasn't mine, nor his, yet I lashed out like a complete idiot.

And for what? Jealousy, perhaps?

I had apologized to Carter, and self-reflected quite a bit, while jogging through the woods. Needless to say, I didn't want to feel this way.

I needed to distance myself to prevent this from happening again, but knowing that sweet little diamond, she'd easily break down my borders with her presence.

"Ramerio!!" I hear suddenly. One glance up from my desk and I see that gleaming happy woman standing before me. One of her nutella cheeks were creased with a dimple as she smiled.

My large gray hoodie, in which she stole, was covering her body from her neck to her knees. Normally I'd be angry at someone getting into my things, but I, oddly enough, wanted to cherish and hold her.

A piece of my heart could be felt dropping down to the mid of my stomach as if I was melting. She was so mesmerizing, and to think her father used this angel as a demon...unforgivable.

"What is it that you want?" I asked calmly and closed my laptop before leaning back in my leather chair.

"A goodnight hug," she said with a slight attitude in her voice. I should have known.

"Right..." I sighed to myself, rubbing the side of my chin before standing up. "Come here."

She walked over to me immediately and I caved my arms around her figure. Security often brought her peace, so I always made sure she knew she was safe before she could dare leave my sight.

Before I could speak, she lost her smile and closed her eyes as her cheek was pressed against my chest. "Can I stay up with you tonight? I don't think I'll be able to sleep."

That nightmare she had earlier wouldn't leave her mind for a moment, but she still needed to rest.

"No," I said and lifted her off her feet, carrying her bridal style. She squealed in glee, and I came up with the perfect solution.

"You can stay in bed with me."

• • •

I rose up from the couch the next morning, ruffling my hair back into place. After Liara had fallen asleep in my bed last night, I removed myself from the picture and slept on a nearby sofa.

Considering how she pulled up the sheets and the alarming bacon smell rising up to my room, she was up. It's a bit depressing on my end. Usually I'm up hours before she is. Something must have happened.

I got ready for the day and freshly trimmed around my facial hair before heading downstairs.

Guess what I see? Carter standing behind Liara, showing her how to make the "perfect" pancakes. My brother couldn't cook for anything. Pancakes were the only things he knew how to make.

"And then you do this," Carter laughed and flipped the entire pan by accident.

He backed up quickly as the small nonstick skillet fell to the floor, and the pancake flew to the counter behind him, raw and pale on one side. He shook and ducked behind Liara's back instantly, "Santo cielo!"

I rubbed the space between my eyes, and Liara giggled, "What does that mean?"

"Um..." Carter started, trying to figure out how to pronounce a curse word in English, "Hurldy shirt?"

"Holy shit," I said for him and stormed passed the two to grab a dish cloth and some Lysol spray underneath the sink.

"Her fault, non mio!" Carter said and rose his arms in the air.

"Hey!" Liara spat back.

Seeing the two argue like siblings actually brought me some solace. "You should speak full sentences in one language or the other, Carter," I said and cleaned up the mess, "leaves less confusion."

Carter rolled his eyes and Liara came up to me, almost hopping in place as she grabbed my arm. "We didn't go shopping for you yesterday!"

I breathed in, "Did you forget your episode, diamond?"

She pulled her Grogu plushie out of one of the seats, "Well no...but we must do it today! It's important!"

What could possibly be going on right now? I wondered.

Turns out, she wanted to attend some party her friend was throwing, and of course, she didn't want to go alone. "Fine," I answered.

Looks like I'll suffer and come along.

• • •

Why am I here? I scolded internally.

Why the freaking hell am I here? I thought once again.

All these people.

All these bright colors.

I might die.

Wow...I think I've found my weakness. Shopping.

"Ooo! Ooo! Try this on!" Liara came up to me with yet another outfit. It was a tan short-sleeved suit coat with a white T, a longish gold chain, and plain blue jeans.

Kill me now.

Did she think I wanted to be the executive owner of a fashion industry?!

That smile on her face softened me. "Jesus." After a couple minutes, I came out of the dressing room and did a 360 for her as she ordered me to.

"Handsome," she said when I faced her again. My neck suddenly felt hot, and I just knew I was blushing brightly.

I cleared my throat and my mouth began to do weird things. I couldn't control it. "I...thank you."

Before I could go back into the room and change out of this mess, she grabbed my hand. "Ramerio," she told me softly.

There was awe written all over her face. "What now?" I asked, "I'm not buying any more of this rubbish-"

She laughed a little to herself, causing me to stop everything I was saying.

I didn't know her next words to me would be like opening a door to another universe.

She had truly made me happy.

"You smiled."