Chapter 2: Awake or Asleep

❝ He looked at her uncomfortably, blinking, you know, like one not sure whether he was awake or asleep. 

~~~

   Whitney watched him respond to the news.  Niall’s face was a myriad of emotions: shocked, frightened, disbelieving, bewildered.  At least he didn’t burst into tears like some other people she encountered.  Instead, he choked, “Neverland? Neverland?”

   “Yeah.  Neverland,” she answered calmly.  She’d dealt with enough new people to know what kind of reaction to expect.

   “As in Peter Pan’s Neverland?  You serious?”

   Whitney hesitated.  “Well, it’s not really Neverland.  That’s just what I call it.”

   He shook his head.  “I don’t get it.  What is this place?”  Niall’s eyes darted around from his position on the ground.  “Where’s Liam?”

   “Liam?” She tilted her head curiously.  “Is he a friend of yours?”

   He looked at her as if she spoke a foreign language.  Now he was more confused rather than scared.  “Of course Liam’s my friend.  Where is he?  He was in the club with me...”  Niall didn’t finish his sentence.

   She scoffed.  “So you were in a club.  Is that how it happened?”  How pathetic, she thought.

   “What–”

   “Did you drink yourself into a coma or something?”

   “What the hell are you talking about?  I only had one drink and all I want to know is where I am so I can go home,” he snapped.  His temper was flaring up, he was going from confused to exasperated, and she wasn’t helping.

   “Um, about that?  You’re probably not going home for a while.”

   “What?”

   “Don’t tell me I need to repeat that.”

   That only made Niall more frustrated.  Forgetting to be concerned about where he was,  he curled his fists and said in a strained voice, “Look, I don’t know who you are, but you have no right to say that.  You don’t even know who I am, do you?”

    Whitney’s mouth dropped.  Never had anyone in Neverland talked to her like that.  “Calm down, okay?  No, I don’t know who you are.  And excuse me, but if you don’t want to know where you are and how to leave, then fine.  I won’t say anything.  You’re on your own.”  Just her luck she was stuck with a pretentious asshole –  who somehow slipped into a coma at a club, too.  Of all places.  With a huff, she stood up and brushed the grass of her leggings.  

   “Wait.”  His voice stopped her.  He sounded desperate again.  “Just tell me where I am.  Please.”