Chapter 18: Make-Believe and True

❝ The difference between him and the other boys at such a time was that they knew it was make-believe, while to him make-believe and true were exactly the same thing.

~~~

February 28, 2013

England

    It was the moment that Niall felt like the events in the past few weeks had been leading up to.  The midlife crisis, accident, coma, Neverland, waking up...everything he tried to get away from and everything he had to face was about to converge at this moment.

   It was happening.  He was excited and nervous, but mostly nervous.

   Had it already been a week since he woke up in a strange hospital room?  Niall could hardly believe it.  Time was messed up for him: after being in Neverland for a short period of time, he no longer knew if a day equaled twenty-four hours or something shorter.  But to Niall, it certainly felt much longer than a day had been in Neverland.  There was absolutely nothing to do except maybe watch TV and try to ignore Twitter.  And there was no tree to lie underneath to chase away boredom.

   But it didn’t matter to him anymore.  It was finally the day he’d been both looking forward to and dreading.  It was bound to happen, but Niall didn’t expect it to be today.

   Because today?  

   Today was the day he returned to the swirling vortex of emotions.  

  Today was the day he went back to being Niall Horan: celebrity heartthrob and world-known boy bander.

   Today, he rejoined the world.

~~~

   “They’re here,” Mrs. Connelly announced as she marched into Niall’s room with an armful of clean sheets.  “Dr. Wells?  His friends are here to pick him up.”

   Dr. Wells looked up from where he was standing by Niall’s bed and scribbling something in his files.  “Right on time,” he remarked.  He turned to Niall and patted his shoulder once.  “Remember, you’re going to take the same dosage of medicine that you’ve been taking for the past week.  When your pain is gone, we can dial back on the meds.”

   “Got it,” Niall said, shaking the bottle of pills in his hand.

   “All right then.  I’ll see you in two weeks for your checkup.  Good luck, Niall.”

   “Thank you, sir.”

    Dr. Wells left, and Mrs. Connelly began pushing away all the machinery that were beside the bed.  She eyed the boy still lazily reclining against the mound of pillows.  “Off you go,” she shooed him.  “I’m going to change the bedsheets.”  She ignored his moans and waited for him to move.  As soon as Niall rolled off and settled onto a very uncomfortable chair, the nurse started stripping the crumpled bedsheets off the bed.  “The cars are waiting downstairs, and your friends are on their way up.  You ready to go home?” she asked.