Chapter 4: Look On Forever

❝ Stars are beautiful, but they may not take part in anything, they must just look on forever. 

~~~

   Walking around the vast open space that comprised Neverland, Niall kept whipping his head around to soak in the sights in a manner that could have rivaled a bobblehead with a loose spring.  Whitney feared that his head would actually unscrew from his neck due to all the twisting and turning in so many directions.  His eyes were darting from place to place, observing Neverlanders running up to each other and asking to see left wrists.  Niall was like a little kid in a museum - awestruck and wanting to touch everything.  Gone was the fear and apprehension from waking up in a strange place.  In its place was a curiosity and calm that seemed to overcome all Neverlanders shortly after their arrival (again, another occurrence nobody questioned, just accepted).

   “WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?  GET AWAY FROM ME!”

   The sound of a man shouting with all his lung capacity startled both Whitney and Niall.  “Is that guy okay?”  Niall worriedly asked Whitney.  The panic in the frightened man’s voice sent shivers down Niall’s spine; it reminded him of how panicked he himself was when he woke up in Neverland only a little while ago.  Whitney glanced at the source of the piercing scream they’d just heard – a young man who recoiled at the Neverlanders who surrounded him in attempts to help.

   “He’ll be fine,” Whitney replied.  “It’s just another new Neverlander.  You’ll get used to the sound of their panicked screams eventually.”

   “I don’t think I want to,” Niall whispered.  Whitney said nothing, so they continued walking around Neverland.  Whitney continued to explain the mind-bending physics of the place, and Niall attentively listened and asked questions.  Their conversation was mostly Whitney slamming Niall’s ridiculous ideas of Neverland:

   “So is this place just a huge grassy island thing with trees and flowers?”

   “I guess you could describe it like that.”

   “Are there any animals?”

    “Do you see any?”

    “Never mind.  Is that the sun?”

    “Niall, how can there be a sun if we’re not in the real world?”

    “What is it then?  A giant lamp or something?”

    “What the – a lamp?  No, no it’s not.  Just...don’t pay much attention to it.  It’s there and everyone accepts that.”

    “Is there any water source?  You said we didn’t need to eat, but what about water?  Any lakes or whatever?”

    “Oh my goodness.  We’re in comas, remember?  This is a state of mind.  We don’t need to eat or drink because we’re technically sleeping.  In the physical world, you’re probably lying in a hospital with an IV in your arm at this very moment.”