2

The two days had past and Natalie had just landed in Houston, along with the other draft picks. The nerves had only multiplied. She hid them well but they were there eating away at her mind.

She grabbed her singular suitcase that held enough clothes for one week. She caught a cab to the hotel where she would be staying for the next week of her life. The biggest week of her life yet. This week would decide if she would live her dreams out as a professional soccer player or would go down in NWSL history as the first ever draft bust.

In her mind the story of Ryan Leaf played over and over. The man that was projected to become the next joe Montana, Frank Tarkenton. He was projected to be a hall of farmer only to start 1 season and then bounce around to multiple teams before retiring.

She was able to swallow at least the main stuff and housed the anxieties in the back of her mind as she arrived at the Marriott hotel.

She left the Uber and walked into the hotel only to run into the same man she ran into at the Draft.  He gave her her room assignments and a schedule of how the next week would go. She thanked him before heading to the elevator. Today would only be a gear try on. Just so she could get fitted with practice gear, boots, and all the other necessary equipment needed for the week.

She walked into her singular hotel room and flopped on the bed. She had two hours before she had to be at the facility so she decided to escape the nerves and time by taking a quick nap.

Her alarm rang waking her up efficiently as she stung forward with her hand on her chest. She got her bearings together before exiting the bed and dressing in more appropriate attire to head to the stadium. She settled on adidas track pants, a Texas Tech red raiders shirt and ultra boost. Natalie filled her pockets with everything she would need and headed out of her room and called an Uber.

She got into the car and headed to the training center. She took the 15 minute drive in downtown Houston traffic to repress her nerves and try to put up the confident front she had taken on over the past years.

The Toyota Corolla rolled to a stop at the front doors of the Houston dash compound. She thanked the driver and left the car. I took a minute to compose myself before pulling open the heavy doors.

I followed the directions that had been sent to my phone and ended up at the players room. I knocked on the door and waited for a greeting.

"Come in." The voice called through the door.

Natalie did as told and walked into the open room filled with tables, chairs, couches, and TVs. She shut the door quietly and headed to the middle table where the man she had met at the draft and a few other people were seated.

"Name?" The man spoke without lifting his eyes from the screen.

"Natalie Miller." Natalie tried to say as confidently as possible.

"Here is your sheet. Fill out all of the boxes and then walk down the hall three doors down on your left, give your slip and wait while they get your gear. Once you have your gear you can head back to the hotel." He spoke in monotone voice expressing his dire boredom.

She muttered a thank you and took the instructions. She walked out of the room and stopped at a table placed in the hallway. She stole a pen from the table and filled out each box.

Containing but no limited to shirt,short, shoe, and pant size. Preferred make and model of boot, if you tapped your ankles, and just overall clothing preferences.

She marked everything to her preference and followed the instructions she had been repeating in her head silently like a mantra for the past 5 minutes as she filled out of the clothing sheet.

She walked to the right door and headed to the empty counter. "What can I help you with?" A young woman maybe 27 years old at the most asked cheerfully.

"I was told to give you this." Natalie said shakily as she handed over the preference sheet.

"Ah okay. Just give me a minute to grab your gear and then you can get on your way." Natalie just nodded.

The woman disappeared around the corner and wandered through each row meticulously picking something up, looking at the sheet and either keeping it or putting it back. She did that a few times before grabbing a Nike gear bag and packing it up.

"You're all set to go."

"Thank you."

"No problem. If you have any issues with your gear please come back and ask for Melinda."

"Will do." Natalie picked up her bag and headed towards the door. She opened the door and walked towards the front door only to run into the blonde keeper.

The one person she didn't want to see.

She tried to duck her head to avoid eye contact with the woman but failed miserably as the keeper called her name. "Natalie?"

Natalie tried to walk out but Jane put her hand on her shoulder causing the defender to raise her head.

Jane immediately removed her hand. "Hey I just wanted to apologize for that night in North Carolina I overstepped."

Natalie was speechless. "No problem." She muttered uselessly.

Now the keeper thought Natalie hated her. How wrong could that be. Natalie missed her touch, even while being a person that avoided physical touch at all cost besides the occasional lay.

Jane had already left heading to where ever she  was needed before Natalie could respond.

Natalie took it as is and called an Uber and ordered to be driven back got the hotel. She ordered dinner and waited for it to arrive before eating and going to be excited for what tomorrow and the rest of the week brings.

=====
Short little update but I'm just trying to juggle everything. Also high school sucks balls who ever came up with it is the devil spawn (prove me wrong)

Also wtf Paul Riley is a bitch, Richie Burks should've never coached, wtf happened to Christi Holly who was fired for "causes". This league is a joke.