10 A Storm of Revenge

Fritz
------

"Melt?" I squint my eyes.

Eira nods solemnly. "I'm ice. Fire melts ice. Fireflies hate us like everyone else. And if they see me, they won't miss an opportunity to melt me."

"Eira, you should go home. You've already done enough." Maria places a hand on her shoulder.

She shakes her head. "I can't go back." She tilts her head to the side. "Do you feel that?"

I step beside her. "Feel what?"

She holds out her hand in front of us, and I watch as blue begins to spread over her skin in snowflake light patterns. She inhales, closing her eyes with a smile on her lips.

"What does this mean?" Maria asks.

Eira's eyes flutter open, and her smile slips away. "A cold's coming. The Flurries are coming."

I bet Clara's asleep right now. Does she even miss me? Does she care I'm gone? "How soon?"

She looks at me, and I take a step back, my feet trying to place themselves safely on the edge of the roof. Snowflakes have already carved themselves into her eyes.

I glance at Maria who clearly looks panicked. This isn't good. I should have stayed in my world and delt with being the size of a doll. I gust of wind blows my hair, causing me to shiver. "I take it soon."

"That's it. We're leaving tonight. You two gather supplies. I'll warn the townspeople."

"Yes, Princess." Eira bows.

Maria looks at me.

"Yes."

She smiles, but her eyes hold disappointment.

---------------------

The wagon rattles, causing me to bump into Maria. Without realizing it, I glance at Maria who's wooden cheeks are turning red. I quickly look ahead and am greeted with the cracked eyes of the Snow Flurry. The four men and women from the town stare at us nervously. They weren't too happy when Maria ordered them to let Eira into the wagon.

"Your Highness," a woman with brown hair murmurs, her finger pointing behind us.

We turn and our faces pale except for the Flurry's. Her face only darkens.

Behind us, a white cloud that touches the earth and covers the sky swirls menacingly.

"Stop the wagon," Maria orders.

The driver tugs on the reins, and the horses whine. He turns to look at Maria. "Your Highness, what is it? We must keep moving."

She holds her hand out to one of the men. "Give me your sword."

He hesitates, but Maria gives him a withering look, and we watch in horror as she takes the sword and jumps out of the wagon.

She rests her hands on the edge of the wooden wagon, and her eyes are wide. "I have to give myself up. It's the only way to protect you."

A protest of "Your Highness, and Princess," come from them as well as Eira. I only stare at her.

"Fritz, find a way to return to your normal size, and find a way home. Eira, promise me you'll take him to my father. He'll be able to help."

Eira nods fervently. "I promise."

Thank you, Maria mouths before turning from us and running into the approaching storm.

She'll die. "Maria, you can't do this."

She stops, her back flexing. Her black hair and torn, red dress blow in the wind from the storm. She turns around slowly. Her skin is pale, and she shakes, I think in fear. "I'm only a doll."