2 That Doll

Clara beams at the nutcracker doll that's dressed in a red ball gown, which I'm sure she's envying. It has black hair and pale white skin, and its eyes are blue.

As Clara walks around the doll examining it, I sneak off to grab a glass of punch.

"Fritz," Grandfather calls.

I mentally groan and return to my post, but when I reach it I trip on my unopened gift and fall on Clara, spilling my red drink on her dress.

Everyone is speechless.

"Really Fritz? First my shoes, then my ribbon, and now my dress? Why can't you just grow up already?" She stares at me in anger, confusion, and irritation before storming off. Grow up?

Grandfather calls everyone's attention and the receiving of presents is continued. This is him trying to sweep me under the mat.

I fade to the side, watching the scene before me. Clara returns with a new dress and joins her friends. I watch as she and her friends flirt with mine. As the younger children open their presents Clara gets down on their level and pays attention to them, almost like a mother.

When did she grow up?

When did being excited about gifts become only a courtesy?

I turn my gaze to the nutcracker that has people milling about it, and I know my answer.

When that doll showed up.

And come tomorrow morning, that doll won't be in one piece.