13 Can You Even Marry?

Maria~~

I take the seat at the right of my Aunt Gingiber who's at the head of the table. As he's not royalty, Fritz sits at the other end. The table is filled with bread and meat, tarts and casseroles. The table is on a squared area of stone surrounded by water. A bridge joins our area to the rest of the room. Water trickles down the black stone walls where plants grow. The whole room is painted in dark colors.

"So how have you been?" my aunt asks.

I cut off a piece of roasted duck. Juice rolls off of it. "All right."

"Have you seen your parents since you were taken?"

I shake my head and force myself to eat the sliver of duck.

"He's the one to free you?"

I don't want to talk about this. "Yes. When he first touched me was when I was released from the paralysis."

She furrows her eyebrows, creating a square between her eyes. "You don't seem too pleased."

Pushing a grape around my plate, I frown. "Because in order for the curse to be broken he has to fall in love with me."

"That's not a problem, I'm sure if you tried you can have him head over heels for you."

I glare at her.

"What?"

"I don't want him to fall in love with me. I could never return the feeling because... well... you know I could never marry him. Father is far too prejudiced. Once we reach the palace, he'll send Fritz home."

"Your father would want him to free you."

"I'm not going to let him fall in love with me. It's not fair too keep him here forever then. He has a family."

She places her hand over mine. "I couldn't be more proud of you. You've turned out so loving and caring."

I chuckle darkly. "Loving..."

The dining hall doors burst open and a messenger runs across the bridge. My aunt rises as he bows.

"Leia, King Ralph is here. He... uhh...demands an audience with you."

The knife falls out of my hand. He's here for me. I push my chair back. "Fritz, come on, we have to get Eira."

Aunt Gingiber narrows her eyes at me. "And what exactly is your plan?"

"We'll leave. Fight if we have to. He'll want you to turn me in. I don't care how selfish it is. I'm not going with him."

Fritz rises and follows me when I march to the door. I pull two swords from the wall and pass one to him.

"Maria, stop this nonsense. We'll protect you," my aunt orders.

"I'm not letting anyone get killed for me. And I'm not marrying Ralph."

"Maria," Fritz stares at the sword, "are you planning to fight an army? I'm not trained for this."

"You killed one of them before. Just do that again," I mutter as I push open the doors.

I keep an eye open for rats as we stalk through River Manor. I hear footsteps and my hand flies out to push Fritz back against the wall. I tilt my head around the corner and spot a Russian girl. I let out a sigh and motion for Fritz to follow. I turn right, following the path the girl was headed and turn left after. I move aside foliage revealing a spiral staircase. The steps are wet.

"This will take us to the second floor." Stepping on the first ledge, I hold the sword out in front of me.

"Maria?" Fritz asks.

"Yes?"

"What did you mean about marrying Ralph?"

Is he serious? We're trying to escape and he wants to talk about my nuptials? "He wants me to marry him, okay?"

"But you're a doll. Can you marry someone? Can you even bear children?"

I face-palm myself. "Now is hardly the time to discuss my reproductive system."

"Sorry."

I peek over my shoulder and see a pink tint to his cheeks. "That's hardly a subject a gentleman should discuss with a princess." I feel my own face warm up, but he probably won't be able to see my blush with the mindset he's in right now.

At the top of the stairs, I push the foliage aside, greeted by an empty hallway. I locate Eira's door and knock. Eira answers with a white pack slung over her shoulder.

"How did you know?" I ask referring to Ralph.

"I saw them outside the window."

I allow my gaze to drift to my sword. "I'm ready to fight them if I must."

Eira holds out her hand and an icicle forms. "I'll fight too." She shuts her door. "And Fritz, are you ready to fight?"

He looks at me. "Yes."

"Hmmm..."

I freeze.

A rat sneers at us as he approaches. "The King will be interested to know you're here."