7 Throw a Snowball at Me

"I can't go in there." The Flurry steps behind me and Maria.

Maria stops and turns around, looking the Flurry dead in the eye. "These people bow to me and I say you are going in there."

"They bow to a Nutcracker?" I ask.

The Flurry looks at me confused while Maria says, "Shut up, Fritz."

The Nutcracker steps in front of us as we approach the gates. The shouting turns to murmurs. We enter the gates greeted with a crowd.

"I am the Sugar Plum Princess. You are to treat my friends, which includes the Flurry, the same way you would treat me. Dire consequences shall befall anyone who hurts either of them." Maria walks foward and the crowd parts. We follow, silent.

They're all scared of the Nutcracker.

I swear that doll even scares me.

Maria enters a inn, looking around. "This will do." The Nutcracker walks to the bar and places its hand on the counter.

The Flurry and I stand huddled in the corner. She's shivering. Remember, she's practically made of ice. I raise my eyebrows. "You okay."

She doesn't look at me. "They're going to kill me."

"No one is going to touch you. You heard what Maria said."

She finally looks at me. "Why don't you call her Princess?"

"Because it's a doll."

She shakes her head. "Even so, why would that matter?"

"I'm not going to bow to a toy."

"The Princess has more humanity in her than you."

"How dare you say that? You're a fairy. A snow fairy."

Her eyes widen and she steps back.

"Go ahead throw a snowball at me."

"I saved you. I'm risking my life, everything for you."

"You think I asked for this? I have a sister that I miss, that I probably won't ever see again. This whole world is stupid; talking dolls that rule a kingdom, rats that are men, fairies-- fairies that are stupid enough to become evil because of a name."

"Enough."

I fall to the ground, the wind knocking me off my feet.

Oh wait.

I'm inside.