Chapter 2- To Love, Or Not To Love

Harper's POV     

So now here I am. Sixteen years later. 32yrs old, got a teenager, no husband, and once again.....books. But this time, MY BOOKS. That's right, I'm an author. My whole life revolves around books. That's why it kills me that Nora doesn't. How could I raise a daughter that doesn't like to read? I just don't understand it. She has her own hobbies though. She's on the cheerleading team and she's dating some dude on the basketball team. At least its not the football team. I think she said his name was Cal. Cal Morgan. From what I've heard of him, he seems like a nice kid. But then again, so did Claude.

        I heard the door open from the kitchen. It was Nora coming home from school. She looked upset about something. "Hey honey, something wrong?" I asked worried.

"Nothing!" She replied and ran upstairs.

I dont know what happened to me and Nora's relationship. We used to be so close before Cal came into the picture. I made it a requirement after the way I was raised. There was no way in hell Nora was ever gonna be treated like that. She's never even met her grandparents. I havent seen them since they kicked me out. Good riddons.

        I was headed for the stairs to talk to Nora when I heard the loudest knock ever. There was only one person who knocks louder than the police. Dallas Andrews. He was my best friends, Tess brother. He has been trying to take me out on a date since I was twenty five years old. We met at the library. He used to try and rent out random books to have a reason to talk to me. I caught him checking out  "How To Get The Perfect Butt" book once. That's when I knew he was into me. I just laughed and told him to rethink his choice. He got all embarrassed and decided to just ask me out. But I dropped the bomb on him that I had a nine year old daughter waiting for me at home. He was shocked and kind of just blew me off. Well, after I met Tess at my second job we became great friends. I shortly found out she was related to the scumbag who blew me off just because I had a daughter. I mean, I know I was too young to have a daughter that old but he didn't have to act like a little punk about it. But we managed to become friends since then and he's a really cool guy. He's been trying to make it up to me and take me out ever since. But I clearly don't have good luck with men, so now I try to avoid the dating life. I've been a single mother all my life, Nora doesn't need a father figure anymore. She's already sixteen and I've done a pretty god job considering the fact I was sneaking into the library for a place to sleep while I was pregnant. But, if I'd date anyone it would be Dallas. He loves Nora as if she was his own and he does everything for her. Including watching over her while she's at school. He's a math teacher and the football coach for the school.

        "I know you're in there, Harper. Open up." I heard Dallas say through the door.

        I let him in and he followed me into the kitchen and watched me while I poured us both homemade tea. I got the recipe from Pinterest. Thats where I get all my good ideas. "What are you staring at, Creep?" I asked jokinly.

        "Oh, I don't know. That's what I've been trying to figure out." He replied. "Where's Nora?'

        "She's upstairs upset about something." I answered.

        "Not something, someone." He took a sip and then looked at me with worried eyes. "How much do you know about this kid she's seeing?"

        "You mean, Cal? Nothing really. Just that he's on the basketball team and that he loves my cooking. I've only seen him the couple of times she's brought him here. You were here both times. Why?"

        "Because they were arguing at the school. After I graded some papers and was on my way home, I saw them in a pretty heated conversation in the schools parking lot."

        My eyes widened. "Really? That's usually something she'd be dying to tell me." I replied. "I wonder why she felt like she couldn't tell me."

        "I don't know. But I don't like the way he was yelling at her. I couldn't make out anything he was saying but whatever it was, it hurt her feelings. He left her there. I was going to offer her a ride but she got in a car with some other girl." He exclaimined. "Just thought you should know."

        "Well, thanks for coming by, I appreciate it." I hugged him goodybye and watched him go towards the kitchen door. But then he turned back around. Here it comes. Of course.

        "Have dinner with me?" He said more like a statement than a question. "Have dinner, and then another one the next day. And the next. And a lunch. And a breakfast. Be with me, Harper. I'm in love with you, woman."

        Here we go again. Me and Dallas have had this conversation multiple of times. He just doesn't take no for an answer. I'm sorry, Dallas. But, I'm gonna say no. I care about you--"

        He raised his hand to stop me so he can finish my sentence. "But just not the way I care for you, right?" I nodded and he frowned.

        "So, you're never gonna change your mind, huh?"

        I didn't say a word; my facial expression said it all.

        "We could have been good together, Harper. I would have done anything for you. I still will."

        "I know that, Dallas, but sometimes something that's good to you, isn't always what's good for you. Besides, it would have never worked."

        "It could've. You just wouldn't give me a chance. No one is ever gonna love you like I do, Harper. No one." He opened the door and looked back at me. "Just remember this: One day you're going to end up on my doorstep looking for that love. You just better pray I open the door."