Chapter 3-The Secret Is Out

Nora's POV  

As I'm laying in my bed, I can overhear Dallas talking to my mom. He's always in my damn busniess. Sometimes I just wish he would jump out of her ass for a moment and get a life. He's so annoying. He acts as if he has to tell her everything. When is he gonna get the hint that my mom doesn't like him in that way? She must've turned him down like a million of times by now. Sometimes I feel bad for the guy, but not at times like today. I've got my own shit to be worrying about. I told my boyfriend, Cal, something huge after school and he acted as if he could care less. And then  randomly got mad at me. I didn't feel comfortable getting into a car with him in that angry state so I got a ride with my friend, Kendall.

        Kendall was two years older than me and was getting ready to graduate. She's been my bestfriend for a few years. Her parents are rich and gave her everything she ever wanted and more. The thing I liked about her is that, you wouldn't know that, just by looking or talking to her. She stayed humble. She never made me feel like I was beneath her in any way, shape or form. When she came over my house, she didn't act all stuck up. She's the one who actually hooked me and Cal up. Cal orginally wanted to date Kendall but Kendall was secretly in the closet back then. I was one of the first people she told. Apparently she liked me more than a friend for a while. She liked my hair. Something I inheirted from my mother. Matter of fact, I say I get all my looks from my mother because I've never met my father. She doesn't really talk about him. All I know is that he was some jerk in her class, that left her when he found out she was pregnant. What kind of boyfriend does that? To be honest, that's what I'm scared Call will do.

        That's what he was so mad about earlier. I told him I was pregnant. I don't think he'll leave me like my moms boyfriend did to her. He was just shocked, scared and confused. Cal doesn't take big news well. Doesn't matter what the news is. I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. Cal likes to be spontaneous and do it anywhere. And I'm not on the pill. My mom would kill me if she found out I wasn't a virigin anymore. I haven't been with Cal for a long time but I know that I'm in love with him. And not that young puppy love shit people keep talking about, the real deal. That's why I wasn't nervous telling him I was pregnant, I know he'll do the right thing. I already knew how he was going to react. It's my mom that I'm worried about. She's spent all her life trying to make sure I didn't end up like her. I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint her and she'll never forgive me. The only people who know right now are Cal, Kendall and myself.

        I heard the door slam shut dowstairs. Dallas is leaving already? I was just about to start my homework when I heard my mom yelling my name to come downstairs. Her talk with Dallas probably ended on a sour note. This was probably not the best time to tell my mom about my bun in the oven. "Coming, Ma" I yelled as I made my way downstairs. "Yes?"

        "Sit down, I want to talk to you." She said.

        I sat down on the couch across from where she was sitting. Our living room was small but very homey. It was big enough for the two of us. It was decorated to my moms liking. I think my favorite detail about the room was the white furry rug underneath the coffee table. I was so nervous I started picking at the fur with my toes. I don't know why I was so nervous. I know Dallas didn't hear me tell Cal. He didn't come into the parking and in hearing distance until Cal was already pissed off and leaving. My mom was staring at me like she knew I was hiding something from her. She got up and walked over to the Christmas Tree that we still had stadning in the corner of the room. It was way past time to take it down. We just hadn't gotten around to doing it. Easter just passed so we ended up hanging easter eggs on it, instead of just simply taking it down. It sort of became a night light for the hallway at night. Cal actually thought it was pretty funny.

        "Look Nora, I've always liked to think that I raised you and trusted you enough to tell me everything. No matter what. And until today, I've never felt like you were keeping something from me. So, I'm gonna ask you this once. Is there anything, anything at all that you want to share with me? Maybe something that happened between you and Cal?" She asked like she already knew the answer.

        "Look, I don't know what Dallas came here telling you, but everything is fine. There's nothing you need to be worrying about." I answered. I know it was wrong for me to lie straight to her face like that but I just wasn't ready to tell her yet. Not until after I talk to Cal and see where his head is.

        "Is that so? Because Dallas told me he saw you and Cal in a pretty heated conversation and then he left you. And Dallas does not lie, even you know that. So, you gonna try and spit out another lie or are you gonna tell me what's going on?"

        I stood up and started walking closer to her. "I'm not ready to tell you, yet. I have to talk to Cal and make sure everything is okay between us. I promise I'll tell you soon. Just, give me some time. Deal?"

        For some reason, I thought that may actually work. But that just made her a lot more curious apparently. She got all in my face, pointing her boney little finger and everything. "Deal? Don't you sit there and talk to me like I'm a friend you just lied to. It's not that easy to lie to me and think I'll forget about it. Now, I wanna know what's going on Nora, and not tomorrow or the next day. I want to know right now, damnit!" She screamed at me.

        I didn't know what to do. I hadn't thought this far ahead. I had planned on telling her, with Cal here. We were supposed to tell her together. Now theres no witness if she decides to kick the shit out of me. But there was no turning back now. I had to tell her sooner or later. If Dallas would've just kept his big mouth shut, I wouldn't be in this mess.

        I took a deep breath and paused trying to buy me some time. Finally I just came out and said it. "Mama,.......I'm pregnant."