ii. where's maya

October 2nd, 2003
Ridgeford, Pennsylvania

HARLOW WALKED INTO the school while Chris was holding her hand

HARLOW WALKED INTO the school while Chris was holding her hand. He learn against the locker beside her as she opened up hers. She grabbed what she needed from her locker and closed it. As she went to lean against the locker, she faced Chris and turned her head with a tiny smile. She handed him her iced coffee to drink because he looked really tired.

"Hi." She said.

"Hi." He said facing her.

"You ready for the test today?"

"Don't remind me, I didn't study."

"And why didn't you study?" She asked.

"Juts didn't feel like it, I was playing video games with Milo all night."

"Of course, no give me back my coffee."

"No, I want it."

She went to get her iced coffee but he put his hand up. She kept trying to get it but she she couldn't so she gave up. She rolled her eyes and he laughed as he wrapped his arm around her waist. He pulled her close to her and kissed her. She wrapped her arms around her neck. As they pulled apart, she grabbed her coffee and back up.

"I'll see you in class."

She began walking away and he smiled as he watched her. He looked down and then back up at her. She turned her head and gave him a small smile.

•••

Harlow sat next to Milo in class as they were taking their tests. Her and Milo kept talking back and forth to catch up with each other since last, she was mostly with Chris. Milo moved to Europe a few days before Christmas in their freshman year. The whole friend group had been friends with each other since 2nd grade. It took a few years to for a few of them to become close with the others.

"So you and Chris, huh?"

"Yeah. Nothing is official yet."

"How long?"

"The summer before sophomore year."

"You guys have been hooking up for a while and still haven't gotten together."

"Yeah? We wanted to wait."

"For what?"

"For the perfect time. It's just issues at home for him."

"But-"

"Why are you asking so many questions? Clearly him and I aren't in the dating mindset quite yet, Milo."

"You do you, I guess." He said and leaned back with a shrug.

"Yeah and I'll keep that to myself." She said turning to him and he nods befit she turns back her paper.