I'm an Opportunist

I make eye contact with Jay and we both grow wild with excitement! We both scream, but then I stop screaming and get a sad look on my face. I don't have a cell phone. I never could afford one.

"What was the chance of me winning anyway..." I thought.

Jay sees this and immediately works to fix the problem. He runs upstairs without saying a word and gets back within the next ten seconds. He hands me his moms cell phone. I look at him and try to tell him I'm fine.

"Seriously it's fine. I hope you win..."

"Shut up and put the number in you whore! You can thank me later!"

I smile and type the number that we are supposed to called. We both wait eagerly for Chris to give the cue to call. It felt like an infinite amount of time went by until he spoke again.

"Okay I hope everyone is ready for this. 3... 2... 1... Dial!"

I hit the call button immediately. I know there are probably a million other people calling so I call immediately. My heart is pounding really hard. I'm sweating and my face feels red. I look at the TV only to see that someone has won. I hear Chris talk again.

"Hello and congratulations! Who is this we are speaking to?"

The show is just followed by silence. I look at Jay and I feel anger. What asshole would call and not actually answer!? Did they think this was funny? Chris starts to talk again.

"If you're there you need to answer. I don't want to have to hang up. You have fifteen more seconds to answer."

I'm burning red with anger now.

I say loudly "asshole!"

Then I hear someone say "asshole" on the TV. I look at the TV confused for a second and then realize. I start screaming frantically!

"I WON! I WON! OH MY GOD HELLO?! PLEASE DON'T HANG UP! OMG OMG IM GONNA PASS OUT!"

Jay looks at me smiling and gives me a hug. I'm eccentric now. Chris starts to talk again.

"Woah be careful with the language! Ha! Well it's a good thing you answered. What's your name son?"

I stutter as I talk. "I-I-I'm M-Mason. Mason Knight!"

"Well Mason you officially are going to be on the walking dead! Congratulations!"

"OMG THANK YOU THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE!"

The whole night feels like a blur. Maybe it's a dream... Na it can't be! I write down all the info I need and can't stop smiling. I copy down everything. I write down a meeting place and a time. I give them Jay's address and they told me they will mail me the details immediately. I hang up the phone, and without warning, Jay comes over and kisses me.