Chapter 3: New Nakama

Zoro came into the sleeping quarters holding Sanji (who was still crying) in a one hand embrace. He closed the door behind him, leaned on the door and slid down to sit on the floor. He embraced Sanji's tiny form with both hands.

Zoro's POV:

'When I plunged into the water and found this small boy in his place it felt like time had stopped.'

'My hands and legs felt numb, I had no urge left in me to try and come back to the surface or to breathe.'

' I was responsible for whatever happened to him!', I said to myself.

'If only I went after him earlier maybe this wouldn't have happened!'

'However when I saw the boy's face, that familiar eyebrow gave me the tiniest ray of hope.'

'I swam back at full speed.'

'When he opened his eyes and said he was Sanji, I felt as though new life had been breathed into me. He was small and weak but I thought that it didn't matter as long as it was still him.'

'Then what is this sickening pain that I am feeling now.'

'It feels as if someone is crushing my heart within my chest.'

'Why did it hurt so much when he called me "ONII SAN"? Is it because he doesn't usually call me that? Or is it because he does not remember me? .....I don't know any more.....it just hurts.'

Zoro sat for some time in that position embracing Sanji. He then said very tenderly and lovingly to the boy, 'This ship is your home. We are all your friends. You made friends with us and decided to come along with us on a journey to fulfil your dreams! You are our ship's cook and you make the best onigiri I have ever tasted! The people on this ship including me are a little weird but even if it is strange and confusing at first don't be frightened. Remember I will always be there for you so don't be scared.'

Zoro smiled reassuringly at Sanji and the boy looked back with his tear stained face at Zoro in wonder.

Zoro didn't know what came over him but he gently pressed his lips to the child's forehead.

Zoro came into the kitchen after dressing and putting Sanji to sleep on his bunk bed. His friends were all gathered there except Franky.

'How is he now?', asked Usopp.

'He fell asleep. All that crying must have drained him', said Zoro with a bitter smile.

Nami asked in a concerned voice, 'Zoro you came back from the island with Sanji kun. Did you notice anything strange in his behaviour or did anything happen to him when you were together?'

'No nothing', was Zoro's brief reply.

Chopper said in a calm voice, 'Guys we will help Sanji get better! However, until we find a solution I think we should all behave normally with him so that he doesn't feel pressured. He is already having a hard time as it is.'

'Really! Alright! So now can I ask him to make me food? Nami's food doesn't taste so good!', moaned Luffy.

Nami punched him and shouted, 'Is food the only thing in your head? Your friend has become small! He has lost his memory! He doesn't remember us or remember joining you! How on earth can you still be so calm?'

Luffy smiled his innocent smile and said, 'It's okay Nami. We'll just have to show him how cool we are and convince him to join us once more. Then we'll have a New Nakama!'

Usopp asked in a puzzled voice, 'I thought Sanji was already our nakama.'

'No no no', said Luffy shaking his index finger.