Chapter Two

Becca had started to adjust to her new immortality, but it wasn’t easy, and Jack assured her that she had a long road ahead of her.

          “Really?” she thought sarcastically, taking a sip of tea, “And imagine the torture…  I have to spend the rest of my lengthy life with you.” Becca shuttered at the mere though of her advancing future and she just wished she could turn back the clock.

          Owen strutted up, his white lab coat flowing back behind him as he sat down, glancing back up at Jack who was staring out the windows of his office.

          Becca rolled her eyes, “Lord, I swear, sometimes I think you and Jack should just lay ‘em out on the table and measure.”

          Owen’s jaw dropped, “Eh-Excuse me?”

          “What?” Becca said, raising her eyebrows, “You think we don’t notice, but really?”

         Owen shook his head, “Becca? What is wrong with you?” Owen playfully laid a hand across her forehead, and she shook him off.

          “No! I mean it! You and Jack strut about, flicking your hair and barking orders... honestly, your rivalry can be both amusing and annoying.”

          “We don’t have a—”

          “Oh shut up!” Becca growled, “You know it’s true,” she grinned devilishly.

          Owen shook his head, an embarrassed yet defiant grin spreading across his face, “You are terrible, absolutely terrible.”

          “Ahh, but you still love me,” Becca said, making eye-contact with Owen. He stared back at her, and she felt sparks rushing through her. “Owen,” Becca said after awhile, “where do you live?”

          “Uh…” Owen paused, slightly caught off guard by her question, “In an apartment…?”

          Becca rolled her eyes, “I mean where? Can you take me? You can tell a lot about a man by where he lives.”

          Owen opened his mouth, but nothing came out, “Er, sure, um, let me… let me go get my keys!”  Owen jumped up and ran to his desk, he threw off his lab coat and grabbed his keys, “Let’s go,” he said as he walked over to Becca.

          Becca already had on her jacket; it was a double-breasted green pea coat with black buttons. She smiled, “Ready.”

          Confused and a little nervous, Owen drove Becca to his apartment. It was about ten minutes from the Hub, she noticed. She smiled as they arrived, and continued to smile as she walked in, admiring the woodwork and marble in the kitchen, “Owen, its beautiful!”

          Owen rolled his eyes and sat down on his bed, “Mmm hmm, now are you going to take me to your house?”

          Becca snorted, “Not unless you wanna see the inside of my car.”

          Owen winced and Becca snorted, punching his arm.

          Then they caught each other’s eye, and they just stared at each other.

          Owen frowned.

          “What?” Becca said.

          He shook his head, “Nothing.”

        “No!” she growled, grabbing his arm and digging her nails in, “Tell me.”

          Owen yelled and pushed Becca, away, holding his arm. “Fine!” he growled, “It’s your eyes…”