little did i know

Lisa was ready for this holiday. She had been looking forward to this holiday since she and Jennie had planned it last weekend, when they realized that for the first time since they'd started grad school, their breaks lined up perfectly. They hadn't gotten the chance to see one another in over six months, and that was unacceptable.

She missed Jennie terribly.  

Jennie, her friend. Her friend Jennie.  

Was she, and had she been, secretly in love with her for almost half a decade?  

Maybe.  

Had she told Jennie anything that would lead her to believe that she had more than friendly feeling for her?  

Fuck no. She was one of her best friends, and Lisa was not willing to do anything that would jeopardize that friendship. She had spent many long months shortly after the pair had met, hoping that Jennie would do something to let Lisa know that the feelings were  reciprocated, and then she had spent the following three years of undergrad wishing for the same thing.  

But Jennie had never done anything to make Lisa think that she fancied her, so she kept her feelings locked up when she was around.  

She'd gotten so good at it, that sometimes she didn't even feel that crushing weight that sat on her chest whenever she so much as thought of Jennie.  

Her unrequited love wasn't going to put any kind of a damper on this trip though, because she hadn't seen Jennie in almost six months, thanks to how they had stupidly chosen to go to different schools for their post graduate degrees.  

So this was the first time that Lisa was going to see Jennie in her new place, and they would get to spend a whole week together. The brunette had promised her homecooked baked goods, junk food and movie marathons galore, and Lisa promised that she would cook them at least three good meals while she was visiting, as well as breakfast every morning.  

It was going to be great, and Lisa meant that.

Her Lyft stopped in front of a brick building that had a fire escape on the side, like in movies, and Lisa's face nearly split in two when she saw Jennie push off the wall that she'd been leaning against and start racing over to her.  

"Is that your sister?" The driver asked.  

Lisa's brain malfunctioned at the question and she shuffled through a plenitude of responses before she just laughed, shaking her head as she pushed open the door.

She stood up just in time for Jennie to launch herself at her, wrapping her arms around her neck and pulling her close, while simultaneously pushing them back against the car.  

"Oof," Lisa laughed as she wrapped her arms around Jennie. "Hello to you too," She closed her eyes and let her fill her senses.  

Jennie laughed, tightening her hold on her, "I  cannot begin to explain to you, how much I've missed you."  

Lisa's heart pinched happily, and she squeezed her tightly before she pulled back and looked her friend over. Jennie's brown hair was laying in curls, resting at her shoulders, she was wearing a t-shirt from their university that might have been Lisa's, and the shade of blue was making her bright brown eyes pop even more than they normally did.

Beautiful.  

"I think I might get it." Lisa said, realizing that she should probably say something. "Six months is too long to go between visits."  

"Completely too long. I mean, anything in sixes is too long. Six weeks, six days, six hours might be pushing it."

Lisa laughed and then reached into the car to pull out her duffle bag. "See, we're on the same page."