Chapter 5

Sorry for the first four chapters being so short. I will try to make them longer now.

We were still on the floor when Tohru came around the corner. "Um... guys, what are you doing on the floor?" Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I was the first one to react.

"I tripped on top of Kyo. It's okay, he's not hurt." I giggled awkwardly. Tohru's jaw dropped. What is going on?

"Y-you mean, you f-fell on top of him?" She stared at Kyo with surprise. He was starting to get up, still staring at me. I got up as well. I'm sure my face could have rivaled a tomato at that point. I was extremely embarrassed.

"I don't understand." I said. "Is there some secret or something I'm not supposed to know?" They flinched at the word 'secret'.

"No!" Tohru said, beginning to ramble. "It's just... it was a very awkward situation, and I was confused, and..." she continued.

I felt like I was on my own, clueless. "I mean, it kinda like the same as just hugging him." I justified. They were awkward. They looked away. "Well, we better get back to the game, anyway," Tohru suddenly burst out. She out her arm on my shoulder and walked us back out.

"Wait." I said, feeling like I had crossed over this line that was visible to everyone else but me. "Tell me, both of you. What's wrong?" I demanded.
"NOTHING, OK? I'M GOING TO MY ROOM!" Kyo snapped. His face was bright red. He stomped away and I heard a door slamming. "Oh dear," Tohru said. She looked crestfallen, with sad eyes that just... I don't know.

We walked back to the main room where Uo asked "What happened with Kyo-Kyo, what was all that yelling?" I quickly said "I have no idea."

I had no idea why I was feeling guilty, but I think I may have uncovered something important.

After our poker game, Yuki resumed whatever he does in the afternoon and left us four.

"Can you guys stay the night?" Tohru asked hopefully. "I'm sure my parents won't mind." Hana said. "I have a badminton game tomorrow afternoon, but I'm sure it's okay." Uo said. They turned to me. "Uh, let me ask." I said, pulling out my phone. I got up and walked out of earshot as I speed dialed the contact 'Home'. I heard it ring once, twice, three times. Then I heard a polite "Hello?"

This is what I call her 'telephone voice', all polite and proper. I hear her use it every time she answers the telephone. I don't know why I notice it every time.
"Hey mom," I said in the tone I use for asking for things.

"Oh, hi honey! Are you having a good time? I'm glad you have some friends to hang out with now."

"Yeah, I am!" I say "Can I stay the night over?"

I'd like to say that this was a stupid thing to do. You gotta build the parent up, I think. Right there, I was not careful. I had her in the perfect position to say no. But what surprised me was that she didn't.

"Of course. You don't have anything in the morning, do you? I don't think so. It's okay with me. You have everything you need? Ok, have fun! I'll see you tomorrow!" She said, and told me goodbye.

I couldn't believe she said yes. I was stumped until I realized that she just wanted me to have friends. She was probably really happy that I was making friends. I couldn't believe she cared so much about me. She just wants me to be happy.

I smiled as I returned to my friends. "That'll be a yes." I said happily. Tohru clasped her hands together. "So it's settled!"

For the most part, the night was just a blur. A candy and junk food packed night with crazy games of truth or dare. At one point, Uo dared Tohru to prank call a girl that was the president of the "Prince Yuki Fan Club", but Tohru dismissed the dare with giggles. I felt brave though.

"Well if you're not going to do it... where's your phone?" I snatched it from the table, despite Tohru's protests, and picked up the slip of paper with the phone number on it. I dialed the numbers in, double checking that they were right, and stood up, hearing the phone ring.

"Hello, this is Motoko Minagawa." I walked to Yuki's room, with the girls close behind, strangling with giggles. I knocked on Yuki's door and opened up.
"Phone's for you." I said briefly. He was sitting at his desk, near the window. I pushed the phone into his hands. He put the phone up to his ear and asked, "Hello?".

I heard an explosion(Well, at least I thought it was) from the other line as I snuck out of his room, choking back laughter. Yuki was holding the phone up at arm's length, squinting at the caller id. His eyes widened with surprise as he realized he was talking to the president of his own fanclub that he despised.

"What- please, I- uh, you must have called the wrong-" He tried to get a word in, but couldn't because of the screaming at the other line. I could hardly make out "Ohmygawd, YOU finally called! SQUEEEEE! I love you so much! OHMIGODDDDDDD, the other girls are not going to believe this!" We ran back to Tohru's room and collapsed on the floor, rolling around with tears in our eyes.

"I can't believe I just did that," I said, when I finally regained the ability to speak.

"Y/N, that was hilarious!" They said.
"I've never done a prank call before." Tohru said, looking slightly worried. "What if we get caught?"

"I guarantee that you will not be caught, Tohru." I said with assurance. She smiled just a bit. "Well, that was pretty funny."

"Yes, it was. Nice job, Y/N." Hana said, who was still straightfaced.

At the end of the night, we finally grew tired and layed down on the blankets. I was happy at the fact that I just had the most fun sleepover maybe EVER! I looked at the other girls, Uo, who was already passed out on her side, Hana, who was laying on her back with her eyes closed, facing up.

I heard a faint click of a flashlight as I looked over and saw Tohru reading under the covers. I decided to ask her something.

"Tohru," I said in a faint whisper. "Tell me the truth. Really, what was going on with Kyo, why was he acting so strange? Is everything ok?"

"Yeah..." She trailed off, laying her flashlight down for a moment. "You really can never know with Kyo sometimes."

I stopped asking, since I knew I was going to get the wrong answer. I was going to have to find out myself.

Kyo's POV

I was flustered as I went to my room. What the heck? Why didn't I transform? Well, maybe Y/N wasn't really close enough to you to trigger it, a voice in my head told me. Another said, nooo, something should have happened. Not only was it awkward and embarrassing, it was also deeply mystifying. I don't know what was going on there, but I know it wasn't normal. Could she perhaps be related to the Sohmas? No, she would have to literally be part of the zodiac for the curse to be void. I was frustrated at not knowing the answer.

I laid down on my bed, thinking about her. I didn't know what to do. For now, I thought, probably nothing. I was going to have to figure this out later.