M2-Part I

Whoever told you ghosts don't exist only said that to calm your nerves. You think it's just fiction? Then what justifies those creepy noises you hear at night?, I'm sure you won't deny having that feeling you get when you're all alone in the room-like there's someone else with you, remember the last time those switches just stopped working and how many times you've had to change the bulbs after they'd blown up just a few days after they were replaced? Remember seeing those quick moving shadows which you often put off as being mere imaginations or those times when it's like you're the only one really seeing the odds?. Still think it is just fiction? Take a look at the scars you woke up with and the several times you think you heard your name or answered the door, thinking that someone had knocked. Don't dare look over your shoulders at this point.

It was another cold windy night in Manhattan; one could hear the quick rush of wind as it hit the windows. Darkness enveloped this part of the earth. The cats were probably curled up somewhere near the fire place and the dogs, all snuggled in their kennels.

The silence was awkward as it had been all week. Although his roommates didn't seem to notice, Henry couldn't overlook how odd things had turned out to be lately. At about 2 a.m., his eye lids snapped open as though it were programmed to do so, a creepy noise often followed this, making his heart race and beads of sweat form about his neck as he lay in his huge blanket. The noise which sounded like that of someone rumbling things often came and went until finally it would stop and moments later, he would find himself standing alone in the darkness of the hostel's hallway like someone who had been enthralled.

Rays of morning's light shone through the room; his eye lids flickered as the rays hit them, daylight sure was bliss for him considering how bizarre darkness felt these days.

"Get up sleeping beauty," Chris prompted from across the room; he was one of Henry's 3 roommates, the other 2 being Kendrick and McKay.

"Where's Kendrick?" He finally asked after taking in his environment. He still wasn't sure what was happening as sleep still lingered in his eye. Chris was silent for a moment while he gave Henry an absurd look.

"Hello! Its Thursday you know! Thursday like weekday, Thursday like school..." there was a pause, "Thursday like Mr. Parker's lecture." He ended with a chuckle. Henry exhaled and then shook his head, he felt quite alien to the routine around him these days and he could almost bet he was slowly losing it.

"Whoa, y...You..." Chris burst out laughing, his chubby stomach bounced lightly. Henry was dumbfounded now. "You ate the morning lizard!!"

Henry jumped off his bunk and hurried to the mirror, yes, he had eaten the morning lizard. There was a long line of dried saliva on his cheeks. He shook his head, very unusual, he thought whilst he made for the bathroom.

The showers turned on, it sprinkled drops of water all over Henry's brown skin. He heaved again, his hand pressed upon the cold wall of the bathroom while the water flowed down from his head to his shoulders and down his torso. For some reason, he just didn't feel like it, there seemed to be a hollow within him and he just couldn't decipher what it was-perhaps it was his sleepless nights. Sleepless nights, the thought pierced through his consciousness. He wondered what that noise always was and why it felt like he was the only one who seemed to notice. He clenched his teeth as he wondered how he always got to the hallway.

The shower gave a squelch before it stopped spurting and started trickling. There was silence which made his skin crawl, his hairs stood on end and his heart skipped a beat, pounding harder beneath his rib cage and then there was that noise which he thought he only imagined, except of course, this one was real. He wasn't sure what it was as he stood still with a mixed feeling of shock, fear and confusion even when it was daylight.

"Who's there?" he finally yelled, almost stuttering. There was no reply; he tied his towel round his partially soap-lathered body as he moved toward the storeroom where the noise had come from, taking one slow step after the other while he searched for an explanation to why things seemed to have turned out as weird as they did. He reached for the door's handle; there was a moment of hesitation. Although it was morning, no one could tell for sure that there wasn't any danger lurking around, or was it just someone pulling a prank on him. His foot left a patch of water behind as he looked around slowly.

"Yo dude!" Henry jerked in shock, his towel almost falling off. He turned to see an already dressed Kendrick all set for lectures, "are you going to play hide and seek all day while we got lectures?"

"What's hap...why are you still covered in soap?" asked a startled Chris as he joined them. The look on their faces said enough about what was going on in their head, Henry's going nuts.

"I...I ran out of water," he replied.

"Who left the shower on?"

Henry looked in the direction of the shower where he had been bathing, the same shower which had made a squelch and ceased. To his very eyes, it had water gushing out of it like nothing ever happened.

He looked at the shower and then back at his friends who had a facial expression that seemed to ask are you going to bath or what? There was no need answering that question or the previous one.

=||=||=
Please don't forget to add to your Library if you haven't. I'd love to hear your feedback and hey...remember to Vote if you liked this part.
+

Ever had an moment similar to this when you could've sworn you'd seen/heard something?