M2-Part VI

"Oh no, oh no, oh no!" Chris cried out, "Lord get this cup over me!!" he turned to face the darkness as he walked away blindly, he couldn't see anything but then it was obvious that the darkness was only a camouflage and the real thing was yet to show up. Henry shook his head, the thump in his chest getting quite audible as it went up several notches.

They battled with loads of junk-filled trolleys, creepy rats and a wide network of cobwebs as they feebly raced through the tunnel, the sound of things crashing behind scared the crap out of these two humans. They reached a dead end; the thick metal door was locked. Henry cursed under his breath as the disturbing noise got closer leaving them with no other option than to expect their doom.

"Stupid humans, how vulnerable you are! I told you there's no way out" the words were accompanied by a slurred high pitched laughter which resounded like that of a hundred people about the enclosed hole in which they found their selves. Somewhere within the darkness, the obnoxious eye balls of the devil's apprentice shone brightly making Chris bang the door which separated them from their possible loophole.

"Stay back old man!!" Henry yelled fearfully pointing an iron rod at the figure, not really sure of what he meant by the statement. The man didn't say anything as it kept a steady gait towards its preys; the fear in them seemed to feed its energy, the dread in their eyes gave it the edge over them. Footsteps approached the other end of the door; there was a flick sound and then rays of light shone through the edges of the door.

"Open up Please!!!" they yelled almost in unison, banging the door louder as the creature came closer. Might as well say my last prayer, Henry thought to himself before finally the door opened.

Lines of confusion were drawn on the guard's face as the two friends ran into the brightly lit parking lot.

"What's going on here?" he asked in uncertainty, not really sure of what to make of the scenario. The gust from the passage exit got his attention; he reached for his sides and unlatched his gun, giving a closer look into the dimly lit passage. Henry and Chris couldn't wait to see what the outcome would be, they'd seen far more than they bargained for in one evening-far more than they could have ever imagined.

A car's engine revved in a distance, flickers of hope ran down their spine as their revival seemed close.

"Hey mister, can I see your hands?" The guard asked rather too boldly-if only he knew what he was up against. The figure didn't reply as expected, making the guard ask again-this time, louder. The headlights of the car drew nearer. The guard walked into the tunnel, it was an utterly wrong decision for him because it was more like accepting a free offer into Hell.

There were whispers from the passage and then a split second of awkward silence which was disturbed by the approaching car and then there was a loud shrill cry from the tunnel. It was one of agony; the cry depicted how much pain had been inflicted, how much suffering was being passed through, it was enough to drain life out of any creature.

Gunshots rang within the confines of the passage and then a loud resounding thud was heard as the car screeched in front of them almost knocking them off. They dashed in and hurriedly urged the driver to drive off, not even taking notice of who it was.

"Christ! What in the name of Pete is that??"Came a panicked voice from the driver's seat, the voice was very familiar, it was Mr. Parker. There was silence at first and then the movements in the rear view mirror caught their attention, Henry turned to face the car's rear only to see the guard emerge with an unsteady gait and a rod pierced though his chest, jutting out his back. He fell on his knees, his cloths heavily soiled with blood which streamed out his chest; it was so obvious now how much worse than the devil this thing was, for surely he was no ordinary man.

They pulled up in front of a condo about an hour later. The neighborhood seemed almost lifeless except for the rays of light which shone through the apartments that lined the block. There was a tingle of peace within Henry and Chris as they took in their environment, the darkness which enveloped the street, the cool rush of winter breeze, the gentle jazz that came from the apartment just across the street. Chris shook at the barking from the Labrador retriever that stood at the doorway with a toddler.

"Daddy!!" the kid yelped as he made his way towards Mr. Parker, the dog following behind with its tail wagging.

"Hey tough guy," Mr. Parker replied, lifting the kid off the floor. "Come on in," he said, facing the two friends who still stood at the door of the car with their backpacks clinging on to their back. Chris sighed as he gave a quick glance at Henry to see what his reaction would look like. Henry nodded slightly, it's not like there was any other options here considering that they were being followed by some creature which until a few hours ago, they would have sworn to appear only in Hollywood flicks.

They were welcomed by noise from the T.V and the sound from the kitchen which seemed like a conversation which was definitely not in English as they followed Mr. Parker who led the way into the apartment. He led them upstairs to a room which was large enough to hardly accommodate an adult, talk less of two.

"You could spend the night here, it's all we got." Mr. Parker said as he placed the kid on the floor and walked towards the study table that took up virtually all the space in the room. He tried pushing it a bit further to the wall just so there could be a bit more room for his guests but it just wasn't worth it.

"It's fine Mr. Parker," Henry said, taking an in-depth look at the room. It looked like it had been abandoned for quite some time considering how unkempt it was with cloths spilling out of the wardrobe and books littered about the floor.

"Dinner's almost done, you could try out the clothes in the wardrobe," he said, motioning at the dusty box of wood that stood high at a corner of the room. The two friends simply nodded as they watched Mr. Parker and his son walk out of the room.

"It's not like I'd be sleeping tonight," Chris started as soon as he was sure his lecturer was out of ear shot; he flung his bag on the bed which creaked at its impact. An awkward silence enveloped the room for a moment; perhaps it was the reason for the statement which brought back flashes of the day's event to their heads that had caused them to remain silent. "What gets to happen to Mr. Edward's body?"

"You just might not want to talk about this," Henry responded after a moment of hesitation as he shut the blinds.

=||=||=

Please don't forget to add to your Library if you haven't. I'd love to hear your feedback and hey...remember to Vote if you liked this part.