cotton candy & new beginnings

SCARLETT'S POV:

"So can you like date him already please?!"

 Cassidy is lying on my bed flipping through a Vogue magazine. 

"Cassidy, come on it's not like that. I barely know him. He seems really genuine, but it's not like that," I say from the bathroom.

She looks up from the magazine and raises her dark eyebrows at me.

"I'm serious! I'm not trying to date anyone right now," I clap back. 

"Based on what you told me it seems like he's perfect for you. And this is Vinnie Hacker we're talking about. How could you not be in love?"

"Cassidy, I just want to be his friend," I say as I clip my hair up and pull the front pieces out.

"Mhm sure..." 

I roll my eyes at her response, and walk out of the bathroom, holding two hoop earrings up.

"Gold or silver?"

"Gold duh," she says. I complete my outfit with some gold necklaces and throw on a flannel. 

"'kay, I'm gonna leave soon

"'kay, I'm gonna leave soon. Thanks for keeping me company."

"Of course girl! I wouldn't wanna miss your first time hanging out with him."

 She grabs her bag and before she closes the door, she peaks back in for a second.

"Don't forget to tell me if anything good happens...if you know what I mean," she says with a smug look.

"Oh shut up," I laugh.

Vinnie texts me where the fair is and I put it into google maps. I open Spotify and put on Conan Gray. As I pull away from my apartment building, I start to question what I'm doing. I've agreed to spend at least an hour with people who I've never met before, which means I'm gonna have to make awkward small talk. I hate awkward small talk with a burning passion. And according to Cassidy, he's "Super popular with the girls", whatever that means. If that's true, why would he invite me to hang out with him? Doesn't he have girls falling at his feet? I'm just confused.... why would an influencer wanna spend time with me, the most uninteresting girl on the planet. I mean, I literally just go to work, read, and watch Netflix. He seemed like just a sweet, regular guy when I talked to him, but it could just be a facade. After successfully stressing myself out, I arrive and find a spot in the parking lot. I text him that I'm here and he says they're by the entrance. I pull down my mirror and lather on my lip gloss, then start heading in.

I spot Vinnie with Jett and two others. He sees me and waves, his face lighting up.

"Hey Scarlett!!"

"Hi! Hey Jett!"

"What's up!"

Standing next to Jett is a tall, skinny boy. His long hair is peeping out of his beanie. He has his arm around a girl my height who's gorgeous.