facing fears

VINNIE'S POV:

I text Scarlett that I'm at her place and she walks out. I'm picking her up to skate like we planned. She spots my car right away given the fact that it's bright yellow. I feel my nerves coming on as she walks towards me.

She's dressed in sweats, but still looks good

SCARLETT'S POV:

"So this is your car?" It's the same one that Cassidy parked next to when we went to the party.

"Yup, my most prized possession." He pats the dashboard. I was expecting him to have a G wagon or a Range Rover, but he's different. I like that about him.

"Woah, yellow and a red interior...this is sick!" I run my hand across the seat.

"Don't be fooled. This car hates me. There's always a problem with it.... oh and there's no air conditioning by the way."

"Wow, he's sweet, has great style, and drives a sick car...what else could you ask for?" I say it in a joking manner, but I'm not really joking. He can't know that though. He laughs and turns his head away, looking down as if he's trying to hide his face.

While we're driving, he keeps looking over at me. I guess he thinks I'm watching the road, but I can still see him out of the corner of my eye. At first I just brush it off as him looking out the window, but by the fifth time, I start panicking that there's something wrong with me. The next time he does it, I turn and catch him.

"What?"

He quickly looks back at the road. "Oh sorry... um..... I wasn't... I was just looking out your window." He starts anxiously tapping his hands on the steering wheel and puts down the windows.

"Vinnie, are you okay? You're acting really sus right now." I say.

"I'm fine." He runs his hand through his hair and shifts in his seat. His nervousness is making me nervous.

"You're not like kidnapping me right?"

"What?! No!" He turns to me, looking offended.

"Well that's the vibe I'm getting. You look like you were hired by someone to kidnap me and now the guilt is eating you alive." I give him the evil eye and shift away from him towards the window.

"You're insane." He shakes his head and laughs.

"Well, if I'm gonna die, I need a good last song!"

"Here," he hands me the aux cord.

I go to my summer jams playlist on Spotify and press shuffle. Mr. Brightside by The Killers comes through the speakers. He turns to me with his mouth open.

"I fucking love this song" He starts singing. He grabs a water bottle from his cup holder and starts using it as a microphone. I laugh and start singing along. The awkward energy from before has disappeared. The speed of the car picks up just as the song reaches its best part.