CHAPTER ONE

Gotham City
Wayne Manor
1994

The rain pattered against the wide windows of Bruce's study. It was about an hour after sunset, and Bruce needed to finish up a few documents before he could 'turn in' for the night.

Being the CEO of a renowned global company by day and the elusive Batman by night was something Bruce was use to. But he was still human after all, and needed sleep. Every now and then his work took a toll both physically and mentally. Especially since he had to deal with Luther while at work.

Bruce sighed, resting his elbows on his disastrously disorganized desk and rubbed at his eyes. It was then a knock came from the door.

"What is it," he called out, not bothering to remove his hands from his face.

Bruce heard the door open followed by the sound of someone entering.

"Dinner is getting cold, Master Bruce," Alfred said. His tone gave off an exhausted concern vibe. "I'm not sure how much longer I can keep Master Todd from devouring the table itself."

Bruce remove his hands from his face. "Alright, I'll be down in a minute."

Bruce expected Alfred to just take his word for it and leave, but the old man was as stubborn as Bruce.

"So if I were to time you the moment I leave I would expect to see you in your chair in exactly one minute, yes?" Alfred adjusted his glasses.

Bruce gave the butler a flat look. "I need to get this done before--"

"What you need," Alfred walked up and snatched the papers off the desk, "is food and rest before you even think about your nightly duties."

Bruce opened his mouth to refute and say he was fine, but one look from Alfred had him shutting up. With a defeated sigh, the CEO stood from his chair.

Alfred nodded in approval. "Thats what I thought." He waved the papers up as he turned and walked out of the study. "And I'll be holding onto these until further notice."

Bruce smiled faintly and let out a chuckle. He knew Alfred was only looking out for Bruce. He had been basically his whole life.

Bruce followed Alfred through the manor to the large dining room. The view out the arched windows behind Bruce's chair was morphed due to the rain. It was lighter than before, but still significant.

Bruce just hoped it would lighten more, or better, stop completely. The last thing he wanted was to be soaked and freezing while out on his patrol. Normally he didn't mind, but this week just was not his week.

"Finally," came the dramatic wail from the teenage boy sitting in one of the chairs on the right side of the table. "I was about to eat my own arm."

Bruce playfully rolled his eyes at the kid. "You know, Jason, ever since you turned thirteen you've been so dramatic."

Jason gaped at his adoptive father and clutched his chest. "Bruce," he said in an overly dramatic tone. "You wound me!"

Jason waved his other hand and placed the back of it on his forehead. Bruce could only shake his head and think about his life choices. Thankfully, Alfred brought out dinner at the time before Jason started to sing some depressing Disney song.

He placed a plate in front of Jason then Bruce. Jason didn't even wait for the plate to completely be placed on the table. Bruce judged him quietly as he too began to eat.

"Thank you, Alfred," Bruce said.

Alfred nodded and turned to clean up in the kitchen.

That was when the door bell rung. Bruce looked toward where the door was with a frown. He wasn't expecting anyone tonight.