CHAPTER FOUR

One Week Later
Outskirts of Metropolis
Emma Wayne's Residence

Emma's house was located about 45 minutes outside of Metropolis. The area around her house was dense forest for miles. You would have never guessed that one of the largest cities in America was less than an hour away.

Emma's house was the definition of a forest cabin. It was a perfectly balance of a rustic design with a modern touch.

It was a cozy little cabin made of grey wood and cobble stone. It had a porch that wrapped around a corner with an outside fireplace. It was two stories, but the second story was only a loft area with her bedroom and the main bathroom. Downstairs was a beautiful kitchen and living room that was very open and made the cabin feel so much bigger.

Scattered around the house were dozens of plants. Some big, some small. A few of her vine plants in her kitchen wrapped themselves up some of the wooden beams toward her lights. Emma basically lived in a forest both inside and outside her cabin.

Emma loved the location. She had no neighbors other than the local wildlife. There was even a creek behind her cabin that attracted many different animals.

The most common animal she had seen was this one stag. He stood proudly everytime Emma had seen him. His antlers were huge, so he was quite old and dominating.

Emma had seen him at least once or twice a week. Always in the morning was she was sitting out on the porch enjoying her coffee. He would appear through the trees and brush, and take a drink from the creek. He would then pick his head back up and just stare at her. Emma never approached him, afraid she may scare him off and because it was pretty stupid to approach such an animal. But Emma would just stare back and admire his beauty. After a while, he would turn and walk away.

It was always quiet. She loved the quiet.

But lately, she hated it. Ever since her dad dropped her off a week ago, she hasn't been sleeping well. It was always too quiet now.

When it was quiet, she remembered. She remembered opening her eyes, only to close them because of the dust stinging her eyes. Having the only source of light coming from a small crack. Feeling both in pain and the numbness. It only reminded her of the other time she barely escaped death.

Emma sighed and stood up from the couch. Echo lifted his head and watched as his human went to the kitchen and began making some tea. He whined and followed her, feeling her distress.

As her kettle heated the water, Emma leaned against the counter. Her hands rubbed at her eyes. She could practically hear the bed calling for her, but she refused to make a move.

Another whine from Echo caught her attention. Emma looked over to see her loyal dog sitting right next to her, giving her that look of comfort. Emma smiled and scratched his ear.

"Its okay, buddy," she sighed. "Mom is just not feeling very well," she said referring to herself.

Echo suddenly stood and trotted to the front door. He raised up on his hind legs to reach on top of a set of drawers. On it, there was a wood bowl with Emma's car keys.

Echo picked up the set of keys and hopped back down. He trotted back over to Emma and sat again.

Emma raised an eyebrow at him. "What? You wanna go for a car ride?"

Echo's tail began to wag. Emma couldn't help but laugh. He always did find a way to make her feel better.

With a big smile, she grabbed the keys from Echo's mouth. "Alright, alright," she said. "I guess I can skip the tea and go for some coffee."